Sentinel decoder installation

Thomas -776561

I have received my new Hornby 0-6-0 Sentinel DCC and the 6 pin decoder ordered from Hornby on-line. With the space available and the length of the wires, I have not yet succeeded. Any top tips out there?

I would be great if Hornby offered the option with decoder installed. That way we could buy something that was actually ready to work.

I installed a DCC decoder in a Peckett yesterday and like you had problems with the wire length. It turned out that the wiring had not been installed as Hornby intended. There is a channel under the motor for the pickup wires to emerge at the side, but they had been taken to the front of the motor instead.

Fixing this involved removing the motor securing bracket and carefully re-routing the pickup cables under the motor. The wires are quite fine and I was concerned about breaking one of the soldered joints, but it all worked in the end with the R7274 board correctly sitting in the mounting brackets.

I am not saying that the problem with the Sentinel is the same, but DCC Ready should mean just that. You should not have to rearrange the wiring.

I do agree that DCC installed would be a good option as I do not enjoy the risk of damaging these small but fine models. Early days, but the Peckett does run well with the R7274 so it has been worth the effort.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't watched this right through but this Jenny Kirk Video shows how to fit a decoder into the MSC 0-6-0 Sentinel.

Sorry I do not know how to make the web address a hyperlink but it will work if you copy and paste into your browser. (Hyperlink added by Mod RDS)

Hope this helps

@Thomas

Moderator Note:

It is in your own interest to have a unique user name. 

Could you please select ‘My Account’ towards the top right hand corner of your screen, then Community and choose a nickname in the ‘My Profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. We had hoped a Forum change was coming to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name. This request together with some other information for new posters is contained in a thread at the top of the General Discussion section called ‘Information for new members registering for the Forum’