Adams Radial Sound Decoder?

HampshireHog

Hi, I have a Hornby Adams Radial R3334 Loco that is DCC ready. It's beautiful model and I would really like to have sound as I have a shunter with sound already. (I am only building a small end to end layout) Apparently Hornby do not make a sound decoder for this loco. Can anyone recommend one that is 8 pin direct fit? Many thanks

I don't know about the Hornby version but I have two or three of the OR version which I initially had a right tussle with trying to fit decoders, However, seeing a Jenny Kirk review video opened my eyes. A decoder can be fitted without even taking the body off by removing the coal bunker. Not only that, doing it by that method allows a wired decoder to be fitted, whereas previously only a direct plug was possible. Haven't tried fitting a speaker but it might be possible.

I have the R3333, a pig of a loco. I was unlucky to have one of those with the DCC socket incorrectly wired, Hornby were aware of this but kept quiet. I found both a direct fit (TCS) and a wired decoder difficult to fit, and when I got them in, the loco was very reluctant to run smoothly. After many hours of fiddling I gave up and the model is now back in its box at the back of the cupboard. There are many companies selling sound decoders, as they are a little bigger than the normal 8-pin decoder, I'm not sure where it would fit.

I also have one than comes with the Hornby (R3398) Lyme Regis Branch Line set, but I have not opened that yet.

@BB

As I mentioned, can't speak for the Hornby version but if it's anything like the OR one they are rather temperamental. I have three if not four but only one is working properly. I've almost assigned the rest to the spares box. Lovely looking loco though.

Yes the Oxford Rail (OR I assume) one has the room to fit sound but the Hornby one has far less room. Funny about the coal bunker coming out on the OR version to give space for the decoder. Do you know I mailed OR for information on how to fit a decoder as I had spent literally hours trying to fit one. They didn't mention removing the coal bunker, suggesting to buy a direct fit one. There is nothing like knowing your own product. I found on my OR loco that it kept blowing up decoders, eventually I tracked it to a large blob of solder on the motor shorting on the wheels when the loco went round a curve.

This post has prompted me to dig out the Hornby Adams Radial and have another look at it. I removed the body and fitted a new TCS DP2X-UK decoder. This decoder, in all around size, is fractionally smaller than the decoder socket - so no problems with space. Programmed the decoder to 584 (the loco number), and placed it on the track. It started jerkily, then would run the length of the layout, at a fair speed, stops on slow running. I cleaned the track, and it may be ran a little better. Replaced the body, jerky running again. I removed the body again, and placed the loco on the rolling road - perfection! It runs brilliantly, the slow running is amazing (2rpm). I replaced the body, and back on the rolling road, it will hardly run. I can see no obstruction with the driving wheels and the body. With this loco you have to make sure the lug on the top of the rear bogie (pony truck) is in the slot in the chassis, if not, and it is easily done, this will virtually lift the driving wheels off of the track. Any ideas?

I have found the TCS DP2X-UK to be a good decoder, as in most cases it is fractionally smaller than the socket, and it will fit any loco requiring an 8-pin decoder. The slight downside is that it now appears to cost almost twice what it was - I paid £19 for the last ones I bought.

I have found the TCS DP2X-UK to be a good decoder, as in most cases it is fractionally smaller than the socket, and it will fit any loco requiring an 8-pin decoder. The slight downside is that it now appears to cost almost twice what it was - I paid £19 for the last ones I bought.

Yes, it was always £30 odd direct from the US, but when the UK division opened a couple of years ago it was up for £19. Sadly the UK division closed its doors during the pandemic, (don't know if it was directly related to that) and the price went back up. Pity really, good decoders though.