Hornby R8249 to Lima class 37

WolfJunction

Hi Folks

Hope you had a very merry Christmas and about to have a lot better new year coming!blush

My wife just bought me a Lima class 37 Mary Queen of scots 37401 (two wire version) which i intend to convert to DCC then to sound hopefully soon... this loco has no extra bogie pickup black wire apart from the brass contact on the earth post on the unpowered bogie? there are the two usual wires from the motor which will be for the grey and orange wires but does the red wire from the R8249 decoder go to the brass contact as usual or is it the black wire? puzzled now! any help would be greatly appreciated!

For a start, you can swap red and black, it matters not which rail they connect to.

I’m not familiar with this loco but are you describing an arrangement where the connections to the track are from one side of one bogie and the other side for the other?

The important thing is to ensure that, before you’ve connected orange and grey to the motor, there is no connection remaining between those motor terminals and either red or black. Such a connection results in instant decoder destruction as soon as track power is applied.

.......there are the two usual wires from the motor which will be for the grey and orange wires......

If the motor has TWO wires connected to it and NO other electrical connection to any other part of the loco chassis in any form (confirmed with a multi-meter measuring Ohms). Then the easiest solution is to remove the two wires from the motor and connect them to the decoder red & black wires and then connect the decoder orange and grey wires to the motor, replacing the two wires previously removed. If loco direction travel is reversed then reverse the orange & grey wires.

Hi Mategrinning

Thank you for the reply much appreciated!

(the lima class 47 as a point has the three wires all black ) this 37 has only one black wire form the rear bogie (there is a hole to the bottom of ther for the bogie contact extra wire?) via the brass post to the RH motor contact and one wire from the front powered bogie to the LH side of the motor contact no other wire in sight?? never seen wiring like this before must be an old one!

as you can see from the the two pics included forum_image_63af11c5af164.thumb.png.0218fe2e7f61fe1fe80e9ec386b28611.pngforum_image_63af11d455420.thumb.png.b266b0ec7a344f6b7b4ac11752e4567f.png the wiring looks weird

thanks to all of you for the valuable assistance its greatly appreciated!thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

thank you ColinB!... I will get it tested.

thanks to P-Henny (30/12/22) its worked !! thank you very much! the wire from the back bogie was removed by the previous owner including the contacts on both sides of the bogie why i dont know? but its working! i'll take note for the future wiring thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

All the best to all of you for 2023champagnechampagnechampagnebeerbeercocktailcocktail

wine_glasswine_glass