Wheel Lubrication

NoPe88

Hi. I have an old Mainline GWR 57xx (Terrier) wich i do a Maintenance because someone do a bad service on this. In this Video on Youtube at 6:00

This guy put some Graphite from a Pencil between chassis and wheels axels. Is this correct or should i use oil?

Thanks for help

Graphite is a known lubricant and has the advantage of not becoming a sticky mess over time.

A disadvantage would be the graphite migrating from the intended areas of lubrication to visible parts of the model. This might be unsightly.

Unknown would be the abrasive quality of graphite v plastic gears. Graphite is very soft, yet so are plastic gears. It becomes a question of relative hardness and wear.

The graphite would simply not be an issue betwixt metal axles and metal sleeved bearing surfaces. Metal hardness of axles v graphite, I believe, is not a concern.

I think the reason you have not received replies is that the use of graphite may not be as common as the use of light oils. Most will be conservative, and use the commonly recommended lubricant.

I think the graphite solution interesting, and am hopeful that more experienced modelers might provide some guidance.

Bee

Thanks for the answer "what about the bee". The reason why i ask is, the wheel should have contact to the chassis for Power Transportation. If i use oil, does it break the power connection to the wheels?

Thats why graphite its so interesting like in this video.

I know Products like EZ Lube Contact, but its Not Available im Germany. So just a mechanical oil would be fine?

Hi NoPe88

I understand your question better now. This is about conductivity, not really about lubrication.

The locomotive in the video is a split frame chassis and therefore, the electrical path flows through the axles and not via wipers. This is an important distinction for your question.

Graphite is electrically conductive while oils are generally considered to be an insulator.

The electrical path is therefore improved with the graphite and degraded with the use of oil.

The softest pencil will have the highest graphite content. So a 9H pencil would be best, as it is the softest. The hardness of a pencil is adjusted by adding clay to the graphite. Let us avoid the clay! Either obtain graphite lubricant (like lock lubricant) or use the softest pencil you can find!

Thank you for clarifying your question.

Bee

Hi Going Spare

Yes, my error. Apologies.

If one must use a pencil, the softer the pencil, the better.

The pencil specifed will not be a common one. A artist supply or craft store will have it. Yet if I am making the trip for a special pencil, why wouldn't I just make the object of the trip to be powdered graphite (Actual Lubricant)!

Bee