Hornby Model World : TV Programme

Engine shed 1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@LT&SR_NSE I sold the decent ones that were still in their boxes until I realised that the old tender driven loco bodies fitted the new loco driven chassis. With some I had to do some machining but basically I converted those that were left to loco driven. The only ones I didn't convert were the 4-4-0 like the Schools as these worked ok as tender driven.

I'm confused about this series. I set up my video recorder to record the whole series but for some reason it has only recorded episode 1, so I looked for episode 2 on UK TV Play and found Series 2 episode "II", whose content was not that mentioned earlier by Bulleidboy viz:

"Episode 2 - Young designer Prad has just 30 days to reinvent the model railway starter kit, while musician and host Jools Holland reveals his incredible 45-foot layout hidden away in his loft."

but was actually a "special" about some "top ten" Hornby, Airfix, Corgi and Scalextric models, selected by some mysterious process.

I found it odd that the Merchant Navy loco Clan Line was one of the models selected as I would have thought that locos from railway companies other than Southern would have been more popular. One amusing thing about Clan Line was that the loco and tender were shown rotating on a turntable, maybe a film from the original product release. Did no-one notice that the tender was back-to-front, either at the time or when making this odd episode of HAMW?

Is Episode 2 actually available on catchup?

I'm confused about this series. I set up my video recorder to record the whole series but for some reason it has only recorded episode 1, so I looked for episode 2 on UK TV Play and found Series 2 episode "II", whose content was not that mentioned earlier by Bulleidboy viz:

That's interesting. I read ,'episode II' to be episode eleven and assumed it to be a 'throw away' episode to keep the interest up.

Earlier on in this thread, I found a site that gave a brief synopsis of what would be in the coming episodes - it only gave two episodes with the rest still to be completed. These lists are usually available for most "series" if you can be bothered to look for them.

This is what it says about tonight's episode:

Young designer Prad has just 30 days to reinvent the model railway starter kit, while musician and host Jools Holland reveals his incredible 45-foot layout hidden away in his loft.

We did see a little of Jools Holland in a previous episode, but it says Episode 11 was a "Special"??

I too enjoyed the programme. Does anyone know how up to date the contents are. I assumed the Merchant Navy sound was what is now available, but the guy appeared to be programing a "white" decoder, which looks very much like one of those just introduced? Is the "starter set" with the Normandy loco still to be produced?

It was last summer looking at his shorts. The MN sound profile is the new decoder. You didn't hear it very well on the club layout but it has a lovely full chat through the station doppler whistle effect. You may also have noticed he was controlling it from the app on his iPad.

Why was the prototype MN numbered 35026 yet everyone was 'talking Clan Line'?
CL's number is 35028.
Al.

I believe that what whole section was about sorting out the new sound decoder (HM7000 as the decoder had a white PCB) for what appears to be a new, un-announced, version of Clan Line. However for testing purposes the decoder was installed in an available model (that happened to be 35026.)

35026 is probably R30112 Hornby Dublo BR Merchant Navy Class 4-6-2 35026 Lamport & Holt - which is due Spring 2023 - may have been a pre-production model?

Clan Line in it's original condition was one of the first of the Merchant Navy Class in this format - if it was a new model yet to be introduced I would have thought it only required internal modifications?

There are a lot anticipating the LNER Coronation coaches that's true, but what I saw at the time was a blue / silver stripes LMS Coronation coach, and locomotive.

Curious there's a new set available - wonder if they sorted out the pickup issues - caused serious drag, particularly the kitchen car?

Al.

Well the pick ups aren’t a hard fix. It’s hand assembled so a little more or less pressure by the person assembling the model is going to course some issues. But flick the model over a little push with a screwdriver and problem solved. It’s not hard to fix unless people just want to moan because they might have to do a little tinkering.

if you can oil a model add a chip or detail a model a dragging pick up is a walk in the park.

£55 is cheap! Try building one, a kit £50 then it’s got to be built. Buy all the Tools and DIY or professional. Out of £5.

Well the pick ups aren’t a hard fix. It’s hand assembled so a little more or less pressure by the person assembling the model is going to course some issues. But flick the model over a little push with a screwdriver and problem solved. It’s not hard to fix unless people just want to moan because they might have to do a little tinkering.

if you can oil a model add a chip or detail a model a dragging pick up is a walk in the park.

£55 is cheap! Try building one, a kit £50 then it’s got to be built. Buy all the Tools and DIY or professional. Out of £5.

I haven’t given all mine a great deal of run time, but I did check all the pick ups and mine were all good. Did the ol’ how far does it travel on a light push test and they all got round a 3rd radius half oval no problem. The one that travelled the least distance was the big 65’ RFO, but there really wasn’t much in it. Hauled them with an R3857 Streamlined Coronation and it seemed to do fine.

No flickering of the lights at all, even over points, which I thought was really impressive.