Hornby Model World : TV Programme

Engine shed 1

You're doing well.

My RFO runs fine, but both Kitchen cars are more draggy.

I do remember adjusting and realigning, and offhand I think there's a moulded brake shoe or 2 which get close, or touch - there remained an issue or 2 with mine.

I'll get back onto them when the weather's better.

Al.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In view of the false start of the current series of programmes and in case anyone is confused by the statement in last Friday's 'Engine Shed' that the next edition will be aired on Monday 6th February, my TV listings show programme 3 for tomorrow, 30 January, as expected.

I found the program last night interesting as some of the program was about the new LNER Coronation train articulated coaches being designed and constructed.

It was a shame to hear all of the full scales coaches were scrapped, still a tail end observation coach is safely under cover on the Margate site after a 10 year restoration .

• 3 weeks later...

I had to laugh when watching tonight's programme. Someone had pointed out that the wheel spacing of the new 9F was wrong. Simon said that it was "... only 0.6 mm, less than the thickness of a human hair." He was only a factor of between 5 and 10 out!

I don't think even the eagle-eyed critic would have noticed if the error had been the thickness of a human hair.

@Topcat

"Simon said that it was "... only 0.6 mm, less than the thickness of a human hair." He was only a factor of between 5 and 10 out!"

Perhaps Simon has very thick hair, to go with the very thick skin he needs to cope with all the grief he cops when things aren't perfect!grinning

Seriously, I can't understand why people would be too worried about wheel spacing being 0.6mm out. Wheel flanges on all 00 models are more than 0.6mm too big, not to mention the gauge being 2.3mm too narrow.

@TD

I quite agree. My main concern is that locos run well and that bits don't fall off if you so much as look at them, which unfortunately happens with some stuck on rather than moulded bits.

As regards the gauge, unfortunately layouts would be even bigger if it was correct for the scale. I would love to use TT:120 but I have too much invested in OO. Also it's OK if you are just going to use off-the-shelf stuff, but personally I would find it too fiddly for anything customised. As for N-gauge!

I still wonder what would have happened had IKB's Broad Gauge taken off, not the Stephenson 'standard gauge' we nearly all have, generally ....

Imagine an A4 or Streamlined Coronation built to 15%+ larger gauge ... assuming the height and permitted widths in the gauges followed as well!!

200+ ton Mallard no less!

Al.

Another thing occurred to me after re-watching last night's programme. After going to so much effort to design a new version of the loco, why were the driver and fireman in the 9F painted in gloss paint rather than matt, in fact why are many figures one sees painted in gloss paint? Clothes in general aren't shiny (waterproof hats are and shoes/boots might be depending on how clean they are). Flesh isn't shiny unless you want to depict someone who is perspiring.

The 9F is a really nice model, I have one and I must admit it really is good runner but it is incredibly expensive. I bought mine when it first got released so it was a lot cheaper although still over £200.

I was going to buy 9F but because price I didn't, I will wait until I have decided what kind of layout I need, then, unless I could have couple of meter long straight in part of the layout I don't think it is suitable or justifiable to run such big loco, but that's just me. Biggest loco I have at the moment is P2 which I find way too big for my tiny straight layout at the moment. I am not even investing in EMU, purely because unless I have significant large straights or straight, I just don't like train running in circle on constant bends. That's just my idea and my opinion.

A good 9F looks fantastic with all of those wheels turning, evening partially losing traction on occasion - but that's difficult.

I have a Hornby 'Crosti', and a Bachmann 92220 - both perform nearly identically, with perhaps the latter performing better which will be a surprise to many, despite the 'lower grade chassis' much vaunted by many.

Personally I have no need for a 'new tool', doubtless it's a superb model, but so are what I have (with a better paint finish).

Al.

I watched that review by Sam about the Bachmann 9F and how bad it was. Now I bought one of those ages ago, so I did my own tests on it. As far as I could tell no notable issues, ran perfectly ok with a four carriage load. As atom3624 said the paint job is better.

I've had my Crosti and Bachmann ES each hauling a 15-wagon '100-tonne TEA tanker' train - no issues at all.

They're both powerful beasties - Bachmann did an excellent job all those years ago.

I do understand and theoretically agree with the rolling resistance / wear rate thing, but with my ES, I just don't see it!

Al.

The other disadvantages the Bachmann 9F has is the fiddly tender drawbar connection and the tender has no pickups. I imagine sound could be an issue as I doubt there is much room in them. I did put a DCC decoder in mine but I can't remember how much space there was.

The connection is a little fiddly, but Bachmann pickups just seem to be more reliable than Hornby - genuine observation - and with the long wheelbase, it never has any issues over pointwork.

I agree the 4-pin plugs once connected give a good connection, but they're so fragile!!

I can see a locomotive in need of 'a good clean' but tend to delay it for risk of damaging that 'pesky' (normally called something else!) plug!

Al.

I might have missed the explanation for the original "wrong" 9F wheel spacing but the quick way it was resolved by the design team, at least as presented on the TV, suggests the reason was not important so why do it in the first place. As I say I might have missed the explanation but that has left me, and maybe others who watched the programme, thinking the design team were not doing a very good job!

It was something to do with the wheels and I assume that the designer wanted to "carry over" the old designed chassis to keep costs down. To get it right he had to redesign the chassis at an increased price and I assume the wheels, valve gear and conrods as well. That is probably why it is one of Hornby's most expensive locos. Trouble is yes, it is now perfectly correct but how many people noticed it anyway, they probably would have sold more had they stuck with the original design and not priced the loco at such an expensive price. I have the old one and the new one and I admit the newer one is better looking but when they are both running on my layout you never notice it anyway. Last time I looked there was at least £100 difference between the new Hornby one and the older Bachmann one, which has not got to be good for sales. Then we have Hornby's suspect Quality Assurance which allows Sam the reviewer to get one with a duff motor, again not good for business.