New HM7000 Decoder Features

rpjallan

Now a few days have passed since the new announcements, does anyone know if the new decoders have any new features other than Bluetooth operation? Or are they still a very basic decoder underneath?

I was also very surprised by the release of a new Reverse Loop module.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To expand on the information linked to by Fishy. Extract from the 7000 series decoder manual (posted with Hornby approval)

Note some features listed are not supported in all decoders…

●      Full Bluetooth wireless control via APP based control interface.

●      Full CV programming and Read-back via APP interface.

●      Full Support of DCC operations. Control

●      Full support of DCC operations. Service Mode Programming (Programming Track) and Operational Mode Programming (Programming On the Main… POM)

●      Supports Short and Long decoder addresses

●      Supports basic speed curve with configuration for Start, Mid and Max voltage configuration.

●      Supports complex user defined speed curve.

●      Adjustable Acceleration and Deceleration

●      Back EMF Load Compensation

●      Motor control algorithm can be set up via Auto-Calibration routine.

●      Motor control algorithm (PID) can be further adjusted after Auto-Calibration. 

●      Sound decoders have three sound channels allowing for simultaneous play of multiple sounds including... engine/steam/spot sounds e.g., Horns, Whistles, Brakes, Coal Shovelling, Wheel Slip, Injectors etc.

●      Support for Diesel, Electric, Electro-Diesel and Steam sound.

●      When a steam locomotive is cruising at constant speed there is a switchable option to either have "Steam exhaust" sounds (i.e., chuffing) or the sound of the loco “Coasting” under its own momentum. Thus, giving added realism to the sounds the loco makes in action.

●      Steam Locomotives have driving wheel slip sound simulation feature – this can be set up as automatic or selected manually. If wheel slip sounds are played the locomotive will not move… fully configurable.

●      It is possible to alter the volume of each sound through an individual dedicated CV. i.e., there is effectively a simple volume mixer on board the decoder. Volume may be adjusted in 256 steps, 0 – 255 there is also a master volume to set all sounds to the same level.

●      The decoder supports HFO 1 and HFO 2 (Front and Rear Light operation); this  function is controlled by F0 on the controller.

●      The decoder supports HFO 3 and HFO 4; i.e., these are function outputs controlled by F21 and F22 on the controller (sound decoders.) (F1 and F2 on non-sound types.)

●      The decoder supports HF0 5 and HFO 6 (These HFOs are low level digital level outputs.) These are function outputs controlled by F23 and F24 on the controller (sound decoder.) (F3 and F4 on non-sound types.) Note: HFO5 and HFO 6 are only available 21-pin and Next 18S decoders

●      Shunting mode…. Accessed by F25 on Sound locos. (F5 on non-sound types.)

●      “Creep” mode … Coupling assistance …. Accessed by F26 on Sound locos. (F6 on non-sound types.)

●      Manual Braking ….... Accessed by F27 on Sound locos. (F7 on non-sound types.)  Braking rate is user configurable.

●      Automatic random spot sound, play in either static or on the move scenarios... configurable by the user. Can be enabled/disabled via F28 on the controller… 

●      Non-Sound Decoders... Single push button motor control at preset speed and acceleration/deceleration… Accessed by F8 

●      OTA update support. This feature supports decoder firmware code updates via Blue Tooth and changing the decoder “sound set” on sound decoders... Different loco types “sound sets” are available for free download from the Hornby web-site via the APP.

●      OTA software update and support… bug fixes and feature enhancements are applied automatically.

●      ADCC Support for Automatic Braking Functionality. (Requires additional hardware i.e., simple trackside diode packs etc.)

●      Hornby Steam System support (Locomotives with ASU – Atomising Steam Unit.)

●      Support for Hornby “Stay Alive System” with “Smart Charging.” Power Bank. R7377.

●      IMPORTANT. Sound decoders do not support sound under direct DC operation. Sounds can only be played under DCC/BLE operation.

●    HM7000 decoders do not support function number remapping.

I can expand on any of the listed features as they apply to individual decoder variants if required ( e.g. Sound/non-sound, 6, 8, N18, 21 pin). Separate download files will be made available to support each loco sound profile detailing the sounds allocated.

I don't know if this question has been asked before, I haven't come across it if it has, but if you don't have access to the app for whatever reason - lost your phone or whatever, can the BLE decoders still function under conventional DCC control. I'd imagine certain functions may be unavailable.

As far as I can gather, if you have the Bluetooth Dongle fitted to your DCC controller, all functions should be available.

As to whether it works with controllers other than the Hornby Select or Hornby Elite, I don't know.

As far as I can gather, if you have the Bluetooth Dongle fitted to your DCC controller, all functions should be available.
As to whether it works with controllers other than the Hornby Select or Hornby Elite, I don't know.

That's not what I was asking. The dongle is to provide functionality to pre-BLE, (Legacy) decoders via the App. I'm asking whether a BLE decoder will function without the App using a conventional DCC controller, e.g. Elite, Select or other.

Edit: I'm guessing that that will function under conventional control as I notice they are listed as Bluetooth and DCC decoders.

I don't know if this question has been asked before, I haven't come across it if it has, but if you don't have access to the app for whatever reason - lost your phone or whatever, can the BLE decoders still function under conventional DCC control. I'd imagine certain functions may be unavailable.

Yes - CV12 controls which mode is in play. Out of the box the decoder is set to DCC mode. Light up the app and the decoder after initial configuration within the app is picked up automatically and switched to Mesh mode. Close the app and you can again set CV12 to DCC mode from any DCC controller.The dongle is only used to control legacy decoders from the app, not the new decoders. It has no other purpose.

In DCC mode you do not have the OTA facility and will have to resort to a normal programming track as required, although PoM is supported so you can shoot CV12 changes to that locos address on the fly.

@96RAF

Thanks, Rob, that's what I figured. And in DCC mode are all functions and features available?

It certainly is an interesting development, especially the ability to upload and change sound files. Not sure whether I'd be happy using the App for train control though. I rather like the Elite.

Any function that doesn’t require Bluetooth is useable in DCC mode. E.g shunting mode, motor calibration, dynamic brake can all be used from Elite, etc. The only restriction would be if you had a cab number address set in the app and wanted to run from a Select in which case you would have to toggle CV29 to use a suitable short (1-59) address.

Thanks, and what about sound? I suppose what I am really asking is, can the TXS decoders function fully without the App if desired, given the caveats you mention above. If the answer is yes then that would provide the best of both worlds and the App could be used for specific functions such a as sound file manipulation etc.

So a few upgrades over the old decoders (apart from the obvious). Auto Braking Support & configurable speed curve probably the biggest for me. Is it possible to adjust the starting voltage? It's a pity they haven't included some sort of shuttle setup.

Yes CV2 is supported …

forum_image_63c0327c12002.thumb.png.9a2b7a12cea4fc8d675a7b7efdcaf2f4.png

… and Yes all sound functions are operable in DCC mode from any NMRA compliant controller

… and Yes there is a kind of shuffle mode (coupling assist) where the loco speed and duration of movement is definable in CVs, such that you could if desired have say a coal train drop a wagon load, shuffle up a bit, drop another, ad infinitum, but I guess what you are asking is an end to end auto-shuttle. Not supported directly from the decoder but maybe later as a programmed sequence of events in the app similar to doing it in RM. However ADCC is supported and by use of an additional diode pack (think Lenz BM1) and appropriate rail breaks you can have a shuttle with intermediate stops - TBD.

forum_image_63c0327e3ddae.thumb.png.fe05e9ed2ca6b40e68a5660fe0ee2792.png

Again extracts from the decoder user manual with Hornby approval.

That's not what I was asking. The dongle is to provide functionality to pre-BLE, (Legacy) decoders via the App.

I think you find that the dongle also allows the Select or Elite to access a Bluetooth Decoder (or at least I hope it does)

That's not what I was asking. The dongle is to provide functionality to pre-BLE, (Legacy) decoders via the App.

I think you find that the dongle also allows the Select or Elite to access a Bluetooth Decoder (or at least I hope it does)

As I have posted elsewhere the dongle is there so that you can control legacy (old style) decoders from the app via your Select/Elite. The new decoders work from the app in Bluetooth mode and from any DCC controller (no dongle required) in DCC mode.

Clarifying - RDS has it back to front - the dongle allows the App to access non-Bluetooth decoders, not as he put it.

Without the dongle, you can still access all of your decoders (incl HM7000) from your DCC controller but only HM7000 decoders from the App.

What about, as far as the sound decoders go, synchronising the chuffs with wheel rotation. I have only 4 locos fitted with sound - 3 with TTS & 1 with a Zimo decoder. The TTS decoders seem fine on their own but when compared to a properly set up sound decoder there is far too few chuffs per wheel rotation. Especially considering the TTS locos I have are 2 three cylinder & 1 four cylinder.

As responded to elsewhere the TXS decoder chuff synch is not manually adjustable and is factory matched as best as possible using up to 18 fixed chunks of chuffs per given speed step range. This matching is downloaded to the decoder with the loco specific sound profile. What may have been possible is adjusting the transition window as can be done on TTS diesels, which may have tweaked a chuff back into synch for specific wheel speeds but this is not supported in TXS steam.

The exact chuff matching will come later in loco development with fitting of a spoke sensor, but this support is already in the decoder to be enabled as and when the locos catch up by an OTA tweak. Beyond a certain wheel speed the sensor triggered chuffs will revert to batch chuffs anyway as the eye will not be able to see the difference.

Considering buying an HM7000-21TXS sound decoder for a 2EPB and using the 4VEP sound profile. The description suggests that this does not come with a speaker. How easy is it to fit a speaker to the decoder (there should be plenty of room in the 2EPB) and can anyone recommend a suitable speaker?

Please move if this needs to be under a different topic.

@BM

As of just now these are the sound profiles I can see in the app. Note the same loco (FS) in different scales (TT and 00) due to different set up characteristics being required by each scale.

forum_image_63c1c95e58000.thumb.png.7a76c86945561ad2ec57c4da9f7fd84a.png

Obviously they are working hard towards having as many sound profiles as possible available before launching the app.