R2827 Schools class- tender plug wires loose.

dBerriff

Probably easier to obtain a replacement X6113 wired plug and resolder at the loco chassis terminations. Out of stock at Hornby but available at retailers - see also at Lendons X6113a which appears to be a single replacement wire soldered to its connector within the plug.

Not easy to refix a loose wire into those plugs so as GS says get the spare assy and fettle all wires back to a suitable connection point within the loco.

The wiring logic usually is motor wires inboard and wheel pickups outboard but check with your meter versus any wires still intact and work out the missing connections.

@dBerriff
Also invest £5 to get Hornby's X6468 plug extractor tool. It helps to prevent breaking the wires in the first place.
https://uk.hornby.com/products/extractor-tool-steam-loco-tender-plug-x6468?_br_psugg_q=tool

+1 to that. They seem expensive for what they are but they are invaluable when you come to needing to remove one of those plugs.

Not my loco but it was run on a large layout with the tender draw-bar detached. Not all operators are as careful as the owner!

I agree and will ask them to buy the whole harness if I am asked to fit the replacement. I don’t know if they have an extractor but that is good advice and I will get one myself with my next Hornby order.

I appreciate the responses - thank you. sunglasses

Convention is positive red to right rail going forward which in the picture is the top connection on the tender left hand socket. The outer pins are the pickups and the inner pins are the motor feeds.

The 8-pin socket is also wired per NEM652 convention with pin 1 to top left as pictured and marked. PIN numbers continue anti clockwise from there.

I paid hefty price by blowing 3 decoders, only because I didn't think or checked Red wire from 8-pin socket could be negative.

So lesson learned is always double or triple check before soldering, Like dBerriff is done. Maybe convince Hornby to have correct colour wiring or just have black wires all around in future production of these parts.