2023 Class 8F

Simmo009

I am not normally one to go off on prices. But, I have just noticed the price of these in this years range. I have R3564, available 2017 & 2018. RRP was £145, picked mine up 2020 on clearance for £108. If this years was a new tool with some diecast, firebox glow, other improvements, then something over £200 would seem a reasonable price point. But this is the same model, albeit with a different paintjob / livery, though still not as complex as many others. I cannot help but think these are future discount material, as the current price is unjustifiable in my opinion.

It does seem a little odd that it is more expensive than the brand new streamlined B17/5, the newly-tooled black 5, (announced last year) and all of the Big Four Centenary Collection locos.

Perhaps it indicates that Hornby believe it to be a far less popular loco and they will need to recover costs from a much smaller production run?

Possibly it will have to wait for enough pre-orders before it can enter production?

I noticed that with the West Country Class "Braunton", this is about a 20 year old model with just the DCC socket added/moved to the tender. It retails for over £260. Hornby are charging what it thinks the market will pay. Perhaps they should look on EBay for the second hand prices to get a guide as to what people will actually pay. I am sure people will tell me that the cost is justified but seeing as it is the most simplest of locos (slab body, simple valve gear) I am not so sure. Compared to this a new Hornby Doublo A4 is good value at £320.