SD45elect2000

My own references are:
AIRCAM AVIATION SERIES No.S.1 BATTLE OF BRITAIN ISBN 0 85045 075 6
Scale Aircraft Modelling COMBAT COLOURS Number 2 ISBN 0-9539040-4-0
AIRfile RAF Trainers Volume 1: 1918-1945 ISBN 978-0-9569802-4-3
AIRFIX magazine guide 6 RAF Fighters of World War 2 ISBN 0 85059 204 6
AIRFIX magazine guide 11 RAF Camouflage of World War 2 ISBN 0 85059 215 1

Thanks Ratch.

it may be that the two books I have coming (the bowyer books) may contain the Airfix guides as PB suggested they appear to compendiums of this topic from the magazine.

I’ll get the others on your list right off.

Rod, I know too much already , no blissful ignorance for me.

Randall

I wouldn't claim that the references I have a the best or definitive works, but they are a starting point. It's up to the individual how far they take things. I have great respect for Mike Starmer who has spent years matching colours of British Army vehicles and have visited his home and seen his collection. But, I am happy with a 'near enough' colour. That's my choice. It's my model. I won't be competing with it. It's for my personal pleasure, and that's all that matters. Trying to finish models to someone else's standards leads to the enjoyment being drained out of the hobby, and enjoyment is the sole objective for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello just thought this might link to the conversation?

I had a chat with an uncle some years ago, he is now long departed. He was RAF ground crew at RAF Leconfield in East Yorkshire during WW2. He worked on Halifax and Lancaster bombers and visiting Spitfires etc. One of his frequent jobs was applying paint to damaged or locally repaired aircraft and in doing so it was a case of using what ever paint was available which was not necessarily the closest of matches to the original colour or indeed no match at all! Also he usually had to use a large paint brush or a floor sweeping brush. There was a lack of spray paint equipment and time was of the essence to get the aircraft back into service. He applied black and white invasion strips on some aircraft on the 4/5 June 1944 he said ‘slapped on by big brushes.

He said the paint jobs were a bit rough and ready!

Just thought this adds another dimension to the long debates about paint colours and applications.

Ki Randell.

A good reference book for RAF fighters is the Ducimus book of Camouflage & Markings; F Fighter Command Northern Europe; 1936 to 1945; by James Goulding & Robert Jones. first published in 1970 / 71 (my copy). Hopefully this book is still available. It is my go-to reference for models in that period.

It seems the single seat fighters all had a 'similar' pattern with slight variations due to their differences in shape, (except for the Gloster Gladiator whose camo pattern was completely different), but the twin engine fighter pattern while following a similar theme were substantially different.

Whether masks or matts were used is debatable, but as the aircraft were mass produced on assembly lines some sort of standardization must have been used, and I'm sure some variations accured with masks being put on upside down or on the wrong wing. It has been well documented that in many cases that the camo pattern often between the wings and fuselage didn't line up correctly. But generally all new aircraft reaching dispersal units from the manufactures were very similar, within the A, B, C, & D schemes. Damaged or overhauled aircraft coming from operational maintenance unit where far more likely to have great variation o camouflage patterns together with damaged aircraft repaired in the field where new or salvaged parts were used that required some-sort of touching up.

Hope this helps just remember it's your model, just don't get too wound up in trying for the N'th degree of accuracy it can drive you crazy; so if you want a pink spitfire (yes they did actually exist), it's your decision.

Remember we do this for fun JtP