Hornby Magazine

Dukedog.

Loyalty counts for nothing these days. I've been with the same internet service provider for many years. When my contract was up for renewal recently they wanted to put up the price, but on their website they were offering cheaper deals "for new customers only". I called them and threatened to leave and managed to get a deal with twice the broadband speed for less cost. Unfortunately that's not as easy to do with a magazine as your only switching option is another railway modelling magazine that I won't name.

Irrespective of who publishes Hornby magazine it seems a bit cheeky to mention other magazines by name on the Hornby forum. As for direct debits, I try to avoid automatically renewed direct debits like the plague. Unfortunately many companies make automatic renewal the default and make it difficult to find the opt-out option. I think this practice should be banned.

E magazine or digital print is on-line, only, on tablet or phone or pc via web browser.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but as I don't have digital or e magazine subscription, I can not confirm, but I would think, digital is via web browser on pc, tablet or phone but e magazine could be or should in digital format, so subscriber can keep the whole magazine saved as ebook on phone, tablet or e readers only.

I don't think you can describe the price of Hornby Magazine as extortionate - it's about average. I have just looked at the magazines lying around at home at the moment, and the prices are as follows:

Hornby Magazine £5.60 ( Cheaper with a subscription - I subscribe and have a complete set)

Railway Modeller £5.30

What Car £6.50

Classic and Sport Car £5.99

Cavallino £16.66 (Bi-monthly - I subscribe)

Forza $6.99 (Bi-monthly - I subscribe)

I expect that if you did a review in WHSmiths you would find the prices about the same.

Can't see the point of paying what in my opinion is an extortionate amount to by a magazine stuffed full of adverts.Thought the idea of adverts was to keep the cost down.To be honest I think most magazines are over priced I gave up buying news papers for the same reason

• 3 weeks later...

The best thing to do is what I do - Every time I'm in Sainsbury's or passing WHSmiths - I pop in & have a quick look at both the Hornby Mag & Railway Modeller - & see if there is any thing interesting & if not ( which is usually the case) I put it back, but on a occasion like on the Jan. issue of the RM Mag, there was a free Backdrop which came with the mag - so I bought it!!! 🚂

I think the price of newsprint went through the roof plus a smaller market for magazines means that the price of every magazine is expensive. Then of course because the magazines are so expensive the market gets smaller and it is an ever diminishing circle. Of course the web has made things worse, if I want information as to new models I get mail shots from the major retailers although the magazines sometimes do articles on some things that don't appear on the mail shots.

I have, over the last year, had a couple of copies of Hornby Magazine that did not arrive. A quick phone call to Key Publishing and a new copy was in the post - no questions. A very efficient service by Key Publishing. Not everybody spends all day studying their email inbox. I just ordered three slip-covers for the magazine, arrived in three days well packaged - no complaints from me.