Reattach Hornby A4 Buffer Beam

Unless you know for sure that the failure is within the transfer gears, it would be worth checking the condition and position of the gear on the driving wheel axle as they are prone to cracking and losing their grip on the axle splines or have been found to be not on the splined section of the axle and can easily be repositioned.

Although that gear is not included in the X8849 pack, another forum member has suggested that one of the gears in the pack will substitute.

Alternatively, Ultrascale may well be able to supply a suitable metal gear to avoid having to purchase all 3 driving wheelsets just to obtain the gear.

I got 3 of those wheel gears off EBay, a guy was selling them. Generally Hornby seem to use the same one on their older models. I have built a load of these chassis, sometimes it is the gear that connects directly to the worm gear on the motor. I had one recently where it just spun on the axle. As to the buffer beam this seems to be a common issue, much so as Peters Spare sells a metal replacement, so a lot must fall off and get lost. Superglue with a cocktail stick seems to work best. I find if you just squeeze it from the bottle it globs and of coarse be careful if it gets on your figures and you touch the loco you get a nice finger print. Nice for Mission Impossible but not on your loco. I did try the chemical equivalent of polystyrene cement but it has a habit of running and marking the body.

Of course if it was a Royal Scot/Patriot it could be the signs of Mazak rot, but fortunately on these chassis Hornby got the material right.