R2339 when manufactured

Bobby B

I won the super-detail loco body on my one and only foray onto eBay decades ago for £8. I already had a DCC ready Mallard chassis provided by the Hornby scrap bin for early testing of decoders way back, which left me the tender to find. A trip to my very local model shop (now closed) and I got that for £10. All put together I have assumed it is R2339.

Does yours have a hole near the cylinders to clip onto the chassis, and no lamp brackets - only way it could be 'decades old' I suppose.

R2339 is the 'latest specification' super detail body with the opening cab vents, lamp brackets, little cab side windows on it.

Love mine and it really flies - might approach 'that speed', perhaps!

Al.

A little bit of history about the model R2339 Mallard. It first appeared in the 2004 Hornby catalogue as being available in the 3rd quarter priced at £95.00.

It was released with:

R2338 Charles H. Newton - Wartime Black

R2339 Mallard - Garter Blue

R2340 Golden Plover - BR Green

R2339 Mallard continued to be shown in the catalogue until and including the 2013 edition.

I have both Mallard and Golden Plover lurking in a cupboard.

In my spotting days (mid 50's) I used to see all three fairly regularly.

I also have Golden Plover, except I renamed her to UoSA / 60009.

I also gave her 'a sooty appearance' in keeping with the majority of photos you'll find of probably the hardest worked preserved locomotive before she was removed from active 'preservation service'.

Al.

Thanks for all you info. A lot to take in? Atom 3624, mine has the lamp bracket holes but no lamps and the side windows have holes but no wind deflectors. The only holes near the cylinders I can are one small one on the loco body each side.