Hattons are taking pre orders for 2022 and 2023 items

ColinB

I got an Email from Hattons saying that they are taking pre orders for 2022 and 2023 items. Does that mean that Hornby have made up with them. On the other hand I doubt many people will be taking them up on their offer after what happened last time, a shame as it wasn't Hattons fault. It could on the other hand be a change of tack by Hornby's new chief exec.

I got the same email and went to have a look. You can’t actually pre-order a lot of the 2023 range. It just says add to wishlist and the prices are to be confirmed.

Based on the R30133 9F, their prices are cheaper than direct from Hornby, but then Hornby make up for it with Reward Points.

The 9F is about £25 cheaper at Hatton’s, but at Hornby the 15% of £252.99 is almost £38. So it depends whether you want a discount at purchase, or money towards your next order.

It is nice that Hatton’s are getting some pre-orders though. I’ve ordered a lot from them and never had an issue with them.

I know atom3624 that is why I doubt they will have much success. I don't know but it is either a change of direction by the new boss or possibly Hornby is having difficulty getting pre orders for a lot of their products. As someone said to me many years ago, when the money gets tight the hobbies are the first to go. It was a Classic Motorcycle Spares Dealer who knew when a recession was coming because of the huge reduction in sales of spare parts for restoration projects. I wonder when Hornby will ditch their tier system, it looks like it is crumbling.

Problem is I have lost to hattons guaranteeing before.. and correct me if I'm wrong how can they be tier 1 with no proper physical shop.

They do have a proper physical shop. It is in Widnes, Merseyside and is open seven days a week until 5pm.

I have bought the vast majority of my railway stock from Hattons and have no problem at all with them. They are great to deal with and have a no quibble 6 months returns policy. Not knowing the ins and outs of their situation with Hornby, I cannot comment.

Whilst I will still purchase items from Hattons, I will not place pre-orders for Hornby items as I have been let down because they have oversold stock in the past.

It is no fun to place a pre-order , particularly limited editions, only to be informed at the time of shipping that you are one of the unlucky ones to have their pre-order cancelled. This has happened to me too frequently to trust them.

@sxbiker

Doesn’t this have something to do with Hornby saying to Hatton’s, you can have 50 of this loco for pre-order. So, Hatton’s take 50 pre-orders for that loco. Then for whatever reason, Hornby are 10 locos short, maybe due to some being held back for repairs, spares, and replacements, and Hatton’s have the unfortunate duty of informing, I assume, the last ten people to place an order, that they won’t be getting one.

I’ve had a Hornby product that was on pre-order at Hatton’s for a long time, only for them to cancel it, and it’s frustrating, but it felt more like a Hornby issue than Hatton’s issue.

I think you are right DarkRedCape. When I did do pre orders from Hattons they would reach a number and then say that they were sold out. Then several months later Hornby would tell Hattons that they weren't getting their initial allocation. Hornby do it with all their Retailers. I suspect business is not so good at the moment, hence the olive branch to Hattons, unfortunately too late. As to Hattons retail shop, TMC is similar, if you want a specific loco you have to find it on their webpage and tell them in the shop. They then get it from one of their sheds. They do have shelves of weathered stuff and buildings, but a big annoyance is that nothing is priced so you have to find it on their webpage. Try doing a search on their webpage with a mobile phone while you are in the shop, not easy.

Just got another email from Hattons and it looks like they now have all the remaining 2022 unreleased pre-orders, and all the virtually all of the 2023 range. Their prices make it still ever so slightly more beneficial to order direct from Hornby to get the 15% back on Rewards Points.