fire box flicker control

Dukedog.

Generally with the list of sound functions there is generally an Aux2 function, that is the one to use. You could by the use of diodes/resistors on the front and rear light functions get it to come on with function 0. I have done it on one of my locos I just got to remember the simple circuit I used. I think if you connect the positive of the flicker diode to pin 7 (ref voltage) and then connect the negative to pins 2 and 6 via suitable resistors it should work by just using F0 the lights function. Generally steam locos don't have lights so a good solution.

You need to understand the difference between a decoder hardware output function (HFO) and the controller function key (F-key) associated with operating them.

Many decoders have this relationship fixed but some decoders allow you to remap HFOs from on F-key to another.

The general basic standard is F0 operates directional lights which are HFO1 and 2, F1 operates HFO3 and so on.

For sound decoders F0 is retained for directional lights, but F1 and subsequent are used for sound functions which are a software output. The HFO control is then moved along to higher F-keys in the >F20 range.

The allocations are listed in your decoder paperwork.

With the zimo decoder you have a high end very flexible decoder. The sound project loaded is likely to have many customised features which may or may not be in your documentation. Depending how you got it you may start with the seller to help you.

Now, it’s very easy to get confused between function keys and function outputs. The function outputs are the physical connections on the decoder. The function keys are what you map the outputs to in order to control them on your command station. Sometimes outputs are referred to as FO or as AUX. For example FO2 may be referred to as AUX2 in documentation and vice versa. F2 is your command station key. With a zimo you can completely map any output to any key so, for example, F5 might control FO2/AUX2. This is set up with CV values. Zimo also has even more sophisticated mapping called “Swiss mapping”. This means you can have other parameters control function outputs differently - for example a combination of command station keys and direction may control a function output differently. I would suggest you get a copy of the full zimo small decoder manual and look at the sections on functions, lighting and Swiss mapping.

Looks like I may have it wrong. On my YouChoos reference for a Zimo MX645 it lists AUX3 as F3 and AUX4 as F4. On some decoders they list AUX1 and AUX2 as the front and back lights which we know as F0, so in effect they are describing them by their physical channels in hardware. So AUX3 is equivalent to F1 and AUX4 is equivalent to F2 on a non sound decoder. On other Zimo decoders the control is on much higher function values, so as someone said you need to look at the function list for the particular implementation of your sound decoder. Alternatively if you don't have the function list then wire it up and basically find it via trial and error, I had to do that on a Dapol where they forgot to list firebox flicker although it was fitted. I have seen it on F25.

On a lot of the later Zimo sound decoders the equivalent F1 function for a normal decoder is on the sound decoder function F6, which corresponds to the sound of shoveling. It is sometimes a good idea to put it on this one, as normally the firebox door will only be open when the fireman is shoveling coal.