Electical service for layouts

PhilipB

So that this year, I don't spend too much of my scenery building time frustratedly trying to wire up all my points etc (I am not very competent eletronically) - are there any companies/individuals in the London area that offer a service whereby they would

come out to my house and wire up my layout (points, double points/uncouplers etc) to my Select controller and decoders ? I lost about 6 weeks last winter trying to wire a reverse loop so I didn't get as much of my layout completed as I wanted and I don't want

to repeat that this year.

That will work out very expensive. There are many explanations on the web try a search for wiring model train points or turnouts.

basically the point motor has 3 connections, 2 lives and 1 return. Too start with you need to install the motor, which

is a non electrical operation.

In its basic form electrical operation is by a switch that joins the power to one of the lives on the motor BUT only for a short period of time, momentary switch or passing contact switch is required.

If you have many

points then you could use a probe and stud board, which is cheaper as it doesn't use switches.

The use of decoders is OK but you have to search through your handset/controller for the accessory number to operate them, which is quite time comsuming.

Keep

the wires colours the same for each point motor connector so that you know which go where and progress from there.

£25/hour would be cheap more like £40, and then he'd drink tea and talk for at least 2 hours a day, plus he may end up leaving the layout

wired to his rules and leaves no diagram.

morairamike said:

That will work out very expensive. There are many explanations on the web try a search for wiring model train points or turnouts.
basically the point motor has 3 connections, 2 lives and 1 return. Too start with you

need to install the motor, which is a non electrical operation.
In its basic form electrical operation is by a switch that joins the power to one of the lives on the motor BUT only for a short period of time, momentary switch or passing contact switch

is required.
If you have many points then you could use a probe and stud board, which is cheaper as it doesn't use switches.
The use of decoders is OK but you have to search through your handset/controller for the accessory number to operate them, which

is quite time comsuming.

Keep the wires colours the same for each point motor connector so that you know which go where and progress from there.

Or she maybe :-)

Seriously, it is quite simple, I got stuck with reverse loop then poliss

turned up and guided me and wey hey all works great. Did 1st set motorised points today only 34 to go. Big order going to modelrailwayloft for 34 R8243,

£25/hour would be cheap more like £40, and then he'd drink tea and talk for at least 2 hours a

day, plus he may end up leaving the layout wired to his rules and leaves no diagram.

PhilipB said:

So that this year, I don't spend too much of my scenery building time frustratedly trying to wire up all my points etc (I am not very competent eletronically) - are there any companies/individuals in the London area that offer

a service whereby they would come out to my house and wire up my layout (points, double points/uncouplers etc) to my Select controller and decoders ? I lost about 6 weeks last winter trying to wire a reverse loop so I didn't get as much of my layout completed

as I wanted and I don't want to repeat that this year.

Archived