Hitachi Class 395 Railroad Version

Tony57

Hi

I brought a Hitachi Class 395 with the idea of converting it to a working pantograph, rather than wrecking the motor bogie I thought I would put together another one from spare parts, got the service out got the parts needed apart from the two intermediate drive cogs which whilst shown on the service sheet are not numbered or referenced to any where on the service sheet, I checked the other service sheet for the full blooded version, again shown but not numbered of referenced to any where on that service sheet also the tiny screws for the bottom plate are also not numbered.

Would anyone know what intermediate drive cogs could be used please?

( I will be emailing Hornby on this issue)

As far as I am aware, the only way to obtain those gears has been to buy the complete bogie but as that looks to be out of stock, Hornby should be able to advise whether any of the gear packs for other applications that are offered for sale would be a satisfactory substitute (or perhaps even find you a couple - they seem very eager to please).

I am not an expert on this but have you looked at the pendolino parts. Hornby quite often use the same gears through out all their models, there are some exceptions though. They very rarely change gearing but generally do a gearing fix by putting in a different motor. When I was building bogies out of bits I generally looked to see what was available and if they were cheap, take a chance. I only got caught out once with the new Princess locos where the gears are substantially different. So I would look at class 90, class 66, pendolino and any diesel/electric loco that has a separate power bogie.

Hi

Just looked at the pendolino service sheets 300c and 302b both show an intermediate drive gear but there is no part number or reference number or reference to the intermediate drive gear anywhere on the document.

I have emailed Technical services at Hornby, will report back if I get an answer to my issue.

Judging by the picture these look very different so probably aren’t any use (but just in case) - Hornby have finally produced a service sheet for the railroad class 43 (HSS 464).

https://support.hornby.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/5620128231314/HSS-464-Railroad-Class-43-HST.pdf

The intermediate gears are given a part no. X7885

The image in the service sheet for the class 90 (359D) looks a bit more similar - but still not identical.

https://support.hornby.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/360016308860/hss_359d_class_90_loco_1.pdf

Intermediate gears again given a part no. X6281

Hi

Today I received a reply from Hornby in regards to the intermediate drive gears, Hornby do not make replacement drive gears as a numbered spare part, they only supply them with the complete drive bogie.

Personally I would have to question why make any of the other parts that make up the power bogie as numbered spare parts? why not just sell the complete power bogie as the other parts are useless without the intermediate gears.