R3649 Merchant Navy - Drive Shaft Problem

TT-Man

I just took delivery of one of these locos from TMC that was in their recent sale.

Fitting a DCC chip was easy. But the instructions as to how to remove the tender body were incorrect. The illustration shows the screws that need to be removed being located at the loco end of the tender. In fact they are at the opposite end!

But that was the least of my problems. When I unpacked the loco a small part fell out of the loco body. At first I wasn’t sure what this was, but I thought it looked like a drive shaft. Putting the loco on the track and applying power I could hear the motor accelerating but there was no movement of the loco. Removing the loco body showed that as I suspected the part was the shaft that connects the motor to the drive train. I have attached photos to show what I mean. The small part is next to the letter M on the service sheet.

I have tried to refit this part but I can’t find a way to do so. The wires attached to the motor do not allow sufficient movement of the motor to get the shaft back in. Unsoldering the wires may make it possible but I don't want to risk that as it may not be a solution and might invalidate any claim for a refund.

There is grease on the areas where the shaft connects but none on the shaft itself, which makes it look like the shaft was never fitted in the first place.

Any ideas?

forum_image_6418738924ece.thumb.png.fc98139d5b458c9cab5b37d5fbba2c6f.pngforum_image_6418739466763.thumb.png.8005b74d4600d2d05b22afa1973a07ba.png

A few options:

1. If not keen to work on it, then contact TMC and arrange a replacement.
  2. Motor can easily be loosened - no need to unsolder anything - some may be held tight with tape which can be removed, the wires opened out.
  3. The little sprue / driveshaft pops into the drive which is simply held in place with a clip on cover - this can easily be removed / opened up.

Your call.

Al.

While I was waiting for the photos to be moderator approved I worked out a solution. Not sure why the photos are upside down as they were the right way up when posted by me.

In this model the motor cannot be moved in a way that would enable the shaft to be re-inserted, as the motor mounting prevents the necessary movement required. I later realised that even if I unsoldered the wires it still wouldn't have helped. However, I discovered that (as atom3624 mentions in point 3 above) there is a removable clip above the worm gear. When the clip is removed, the worm gear and the drive shaft holder can be lifted out of the assembly allowing the drive shaft to be reinserted.

The loco is running fine now and with its LokPilot decoder fitted performs very nicely indeed.

As an aside. I was always under the impression that once assembled locos were tested to check that they actually run. Clearly this loco wasn’t. It is physically impossible for the drive shaft to fall out if fitted correctly. So this loco could never have been run before being put in its packaging.

Unfortunately, TT-Man again you are right. I am surprised though that TMC didn't notice, from my dealings with them they seem to be a good retailer. Definitely Derails would have noticed they test all their locos but TMC usually do as well. I have never taken mine apart so I don't know how easy it is for it to get dislodged so I can't comment further. Sometimes it is easier to fix it yourself rather than pay the £10 + postage (loco is over £40, so you need to send it Special Delivery) to send it back. I suppose it must be possible for it to be fitted badly and still work.

@ColinB. Yes for me it's always better to fix myself if possible rather than return. This loco took 5 weeks to get to Bulgaria with useless Royal Mail International and being held in customs jail for 10 days. I did ask TMC to send it by courier but they screwed up.

Sending it back and then getting a replacement would have been another 2 months plus! Then there is possible argument with customs that you have already paid VAT once and you don't want to get stuffed a second time - and there would be another handling fee.

Thanks Brexit I love you so much!!!

When I bought my HD Duchess of Linfield from Bure Valley and found it to be defective, when I phoned them up they said they normally test all their Locos, but being an HD they didn't and of course they didn't have a replacement. I know that because in the past I have bought one that was their last one but it failed on testing, so they canceled the order. The annoying thing about the HD was it cost about £10 to send it back, wait 1 month to let Bure Valley send it back (Hornby wanted photos and who knows what) and a month to send it back with it not really fixed. I didn't have the heart to ask Bure Valley for my postage back because it wasn't their fault and they are a charity.