R3972 HD A4 Gannet Limited Edition

Philip-349462

Hi all,

Received mine yesterday - model looks fantastic but as it’s a Limited Edition I was expecting a certificate stating exact number of the “limited” batch run.

Anyone else “missing” theirs or has mine just got lost somewhere?

thanks in advance for any replies.

I got mine last week and no certificate. I don’t think this model is a limited edition, just a Dublo model.

Where did you see that it was limited edition? Was it in the Hornby catalogue that said something like 500/1000 models?

I have the Centenary Peckett and that had a certificate, but it was for a special occasion. Maybe only certificates come with models for special occasions, even if they’d limited edition.

I have sent an e-mail to customer services as received my A4 'Gannet' and no Ltd: Certificate. The website even states it is limited to 500. Rather disappointed by this expressionless Let's hope we get some clarification about this.slightly_frowning_face

I don’t think every limited edition model comes with a certificate. I have several Hornby limited editions now and the only two that came with a certificate were the Centenary Peckett and the recent Queen Jubilee.

I recently got the R3973 Sir Nigel Gresley and no certificate there either, nor in my recent City of Lichfield Dublo.

I think with the recent Dublo range, the limited edition aspect of it is simply that it’s a small production run, not that it’s particularly special.

Perhaps I'm becoming cynical in my old age but aren't these "limited editions" nothing more than a money-making exercise? You take an otherwise standard model, give it a different name and number and put it in a fancy box with a certificate.

In general I don't know how well these limited editions hold their value, but I sold a Pete Waterman limited edition loco (can't remember which one) for the estate of a a late friend, and it didn't fetch any more than the standard version.

The website even states it is limited to 500.

To be pedantic, the website says "Restricted to 500" not "Limited" plus it does not use the phrase "Limited Edition". To me, these statements have different meanings.

To me, a Certificated Limited Edition is a guarantee that the number made will never exceed the stated number regardless of what the demand is. Whereas "Restricted to 500" means to me that the initial factory run is 500, but if it transpires that there is an unprecedented demand, they are within their rights to order another run from the factory.

Business is a money-making exercise. It helps if you enjoy what you do, but even then there is no point in commissioning stock that you cannot sell. As the models are made in China it would seem that 500 is around the right number to generate interest and return a profit.

If not, Simon and Montana will be trying to shift the unsold stock at the next Dorset Steam Fair (not until 2024 unfortunately).

Perhaps I'm becoming cynical in my old age but aren't these "limited editions" nothing more than a money-making exercise? 

business is all about making money. If people want a HD model Hornby would be daft to look let slip a opportunity to the make more money. Even if they feel 500 is the right number it’s still bringing the money.