Scalescenes Spring discount offer

Peachy

Just noticed Scalescenes have a 25% discount offer on at the moment. “Spring25” is the offer code.

I’ve just finished one of their freebies, printed off at 63% works perfect!

I’m afraid my loyalty to Metcalfe has hit a wobbly patch.

Yes I bought a couple of the buildings last night. Still planning to do one of the box file layouts some day to use some OO stock.

Great that they scale to TT120 so easily.

Yes the easy scaling to 1:120 was what attracted me at first, but after having a go with one of the free downloads I quickly realised these actually excellent detailed models, ok so not as easy as the Metcalfe offerings but with all variations in brick/stone finishes it’s got a very broad range.

I had come across scalescenes before on an Internet search, but put it in "save for later" mode.

But this discussion has kicked me into action.

The layout is in 2 parts. The lower part is in stone, but I have decided the upper part is more industrial in brick.

I have been building Metcalfe, indeed purchased the Metcalfe country station in brick. But what about the platform, walls? Enter scalescenes.

The platform is scratchbuilt as are the walls. The station is Metcalfe N gauge. Printing the scalescene OO brick walls at 63% as suggested gives a very close match to the station brickwork. Now I have infinite possibilities for the rest of the layout.

Also I probably need a second platform for the shelter although this is intended as a terminus with a passing loop. Great Longwood Railway has yet to build the line, however. The incline viaduct and viaduct are in place.

So I present Upper Longwood Station.

Hints:

Save cardboard like mad.

If building Metcalfe there is plenty of spare thicker card for reinforcement.

Your layout will be unique!

forum_image_6420c0bd23191.thumb.png.9cd578a9ba284331a6d0a6e7f400e13b.png

Excellent @Robc058

Here’s my 1st of many more to go! 

OO small goods reduced by 63% to TT1:120 

This was really a test to see if the results would be better reducing down from OO rather than up from N. 

Although more fiddly (than building in OO) I think the details & print finish are worth the hassle. 

I’ve also tried out adhesive backed photo quality paper for first time although I still traditionally glued the wrap-around bits. 

Plenty of coats of Frisk pastel fix matt lacquer before & after construction, now to pop it in a cold high humidity shed to see how it fares for a few weeks then into the greenhouse to cook off, hopefully replicating the extremes my loft layout has to offer!

forum_image_64215bd3678f5.thumb.png.02294a5a72885c367660c07f248a04bf.png

forum_image_64215bd7ca522.thumb.png.ec8d7af3eb4766292b4b19f2747b348e.png

Hmmm, that 25% off certainly makes up for the slight price increase John Wiffen has had to make to the Scalescenes range. Pity that I've already bought every download that I'm ever likely to need!

I think the best thing about Scalescenes is how adaptable the kits are. They're designed for kit-bashing and when you've got a few downloads available, along with some texture sheets, the possibilities are infinite. I'm currently building a brick Methodist chapel out of a 13th century stone church. Conversion from OO is dead easy when you're designing, too, as we're basically talking about reducing to two thirds the size.

Cheers @OldSeaDog

Ive created both concrete & wooden versions of the little freebie kit for my environment test using self adhesive backed paper on one and pritt stick on the other. I’m hoping the sticky backed paper version works as it’s by far the easiest way of doing it.

Next project is an 8 bay roundhouse engine shed to fit around my turntable, it’s going to need some careful scratch building and clever geometry.

Roundhouse? Gorblimey, strike a light Mary Poppins!

Just thinking rationally about it, there's a Scalescenes building that might possibly work for this. It's a boiler house, but it's been designed with a trapezoidal footprint, so if you join lots of them together they should form a circle, with a bit of messing about. There is also a big door at both the front and rear and it should be a doddle to extend it to a loco length.

The model number is TO24b