Any interest in the new Club Exclusive P2?

DarkRedCape

I personally think the streamlined P2 class are the best looking locomotive of all time. There is something about that aerodynamic front with the 2-8-2 and the four axle tender configuration that just looks beautiful.

I remember the last Club exclusive, the R30283 Coronation, was sold out within a few hours after it was announced. This P2 has been up for a couple of days now and is still available.

Maybe Hornby made this P2 in a larger batch than the Coronation. Maybe it’s just not as popular?

Hello Bulleidboy

I have just checked up on Hornby models of the P2.

Only one is a limited edition - R3440, Cock O' the North in LNER gloss green.

It first appeared in the catalogue for 2016. This was the "oddball" cat. - much reduced in size - an experiment that Hornby have not repeated, thank goodness.

The first P2 to appear was a Railroad model of 2001 in 2013. This was R3171.

I think it is worth mentioning, that Thompson rebuilt Thane of Fife as a pacific, class A2/2.

Hornby did a model of this (R3831) in late BR livery. It showed up in Cat.66 (2020).

This means that we have two quite different models of "Thane of Fife". There was another occasion when something like this happened. This was the availability of the LMS duchess class in streamlined and non-streamlined versions. This did not, of course, involve a rebuild of the loco.