Hornby Dublo Merchant Navy Class Lamport & Holt

John-349908

The locomotive initially jarred when crossing points, more so on curved points, and quickly derailed. On inspection, the back-to-back dimension of the leading driving wheels was found to be 15.05mm. I used a micrometer to reduce the dimension to 14.45mm. With the motion carefully positioned, the micrometer bridged the brake rods and gripped the wheel centres. The reduction was performed incrementally because it is doubtful that the process could be readily reversed. On running, the jarring on points stopped but it is still a heavy ride which would probably accelerate wear of plastic frogs.

The tender coupling is set too far back so that the bar of the tension lock is well inside the line of the buffers. Consequently, if a rake of coaches is reversed on a curve or branch of a point, the tender buffers snag behind the buffers of the first coach causing derailment. This fault also appeared on Royal Mail 21C3. However, East Asiatic Company 35024 has the coupling bar extending beyond the buffer line and that problem does not occur.

Unlike the Duchess of Atholl, there is no mention of “limited edition of 500” on the box sleeve nor is a numbered certificate provided. When this model is removed from the website, the only evidence will be the back copy of the catalogue.

I contemplated returning the locomotive for a refund but will probably consign it to the display cabinet as it is otherwise an attractive model.

Ok, I can understand your frustration, I did the same with my HD Duchess of Lichfield, but basically this is the same loco as East Asiatic Company loco, so it should behave roughly the same. I know you shouldn't have to do this but I suspect that they are faults that can be easily fixed. I get opinion that Hornby think that most will be used as collectors items so their inspection is not so thorough.

As Colin says, you shouldn't have to do it, but you could replace the tender coupling with a 19mm or 20mm Kadee coupling - this would of course mean having a similar coupling on the end of whatever you were hauling. This would hopefully stop the buffer lock. I also have the loco, but as yet it has not been unpacked.

I suppose it is how you interpret the wording, but I don't think the loco is a "Limited Edition" - it says there will only be 500 produced.

The tender should be pretty standard, in fact the same as all the other Merchant Navy locos, it is only the loco body that is changed so I would have though it was standard NEM. I am wondering it it is a fitment error by Production perhaps it just needs a different NEM pocket. I know you shouldn't have to change it on a £320 loco but it is less aggro than sending it back. If you bought it direct from Hornby I am sure you can send it back for repair and being it is Hornby, they will refund the postage.