New 8 pin DCC printed circuit board

ColinB

This is for information only. I just received my new Hornby Dublo Sir Nigel Gresley. Having searched all over the box and the fitting instructions I could not find what DCC decoder it needed. Normally you would assume 8 pin but during the transition period it could be 21 pins. The diagram in the instructions looks like a 21 pin one. Anyway in the end the only way to find out was to open it up. Amazingly it still is an 8 pin but the DCC printed circuit board is a new type, much larger, more on the lines of their 21 pin one with the 8 pin connector at the back. Much nicer design, much better layed out.

Yes, Fishmanoz I know from the earlier thread. Like the original poster, I didn't bother searching. It should be on the box or in the instructions. Previously you didn't need to bother as they were all 8 pin, but at this present time it is. Fortunately on an A4 it is incredibly easy to get to the DCC socket. The thing that is quite interesting is they have redesigned the 8 pin socket, why bother it is the same shape as the 21 pin. Why not fit the 21 pin PCB, the connections to the loco are exactly the same. They obviously have their reasons.