Mystery Socket in Hornby Dublo Locos

TT-Man

I installed decoders in 2 new Hornby Dublo locos today. I noticed that underneath the PCB that holds the decoder there was another socket. It looks like a 4 pin male socket. You can see it on the bottom right side (EDIT - the photo has been published upside down so is now top left) of the PCB in the photo.

There is no reference to it in the instructions that come with the locos. Does anyone know what it is for?

forum_image_6424443280abb.thumb.png.395d2fb078686bccfcd67403badbd582.png

forum_image_642455217223d.thumb.png.77dbea4295b47a15dff0311c3c5f170a.png

The mods are not having a joke, it’s your mobile device.

If you are loading pictures from a mobile device then it has a fixed up and down, in the case of an iPad the Home button should be under your right thumb.

Hence if you take a picture with the device inverted those pictures will always post inverted.

If you are loading pictures from a mobile device then it has a fixed up and down, in the case of an iPad the Home button should be under your right thumb.
Hence if you take a picture with the device inverted those pictures will always post inverted.

I think you may be mistaken. The photo was taken with an iPhone. The phone was in the correct orientation when the photo was taken. This is supported by:

1. A symbol that appears on the phone showing the phones orientation at the moment a picture is taken.
  2. When reviewed on the phone the photo appears in the orientation that it was taken.
  3. When uploaded to my iMac a photo always appears in the orientation that it was taken.
  4. When uploaded to the forum from my iMac, before the "Post Reply" button is pressed it is shown as the correct orientation.

It only after the post is published that it shows as being inverted.

The second photo was uploaded in the EDITed post as an experiment after being inverted on my iMac. The inverted photo has been published inverted.

I say again - nothing to do with the mods, all we do is tick approve or reject. The upload is done by the forum software.

Humour me - take a picture with the phone upside down and post to the forum direct from the phone, then post again after you have passed that upside down taken picture to the iMac.

Regarding the 4 test images just uploaded.

I would point out that all four of these pictures appear in the correct orientation in the native CAMERA app on the iPhone as the phone detects its orientation and immediately corrects the finished image. This is still the case when 'Screen Lock' is applied. So you can't fool the app into making an inverted picture by holding the phone upside down.

You can subsequently make an inverted image by using the rotation feature in the phone app or in the iMac app after you have already taken the picture. But this is manual manipulation in the software after the image is captured.

As each photo is still awry then I suggest the problem lies with the phone/iMac software not the forum.

My records show that I have uploaded 12,056 photos and 114 videos from my iMac to various sites and servers since 2009. This is the first time that there has ever been a problem.

I have just made a test upload to another site from both the iPhone and the iMac without any issue.

I made a photo upload to the Hornby Forum in a post on the 18th March and there was no problem.

So it may be premature to attribute the problem to Apple, especially when there are current bugs with the Hornby website e.g. when trying to find the 18th March post referred to above, I looked at the MyCommunity/ForumActivity webpage. It fails when you press the 'Next Page' or page selection dropdown box, by taking you back to previously viewed screen rather the next page of Forum posts.

TT-man........I found your 18th March posts very easily, just touched your TM avatar which took me to your posts and scrolled back a couple of pages.

I didn't say I couldn't find it. I was pointing out that one of the routes to past posts is broken, as an example that there are some aspects of this website that don't work.

I am waiting with bated breath to find out just what that pesky socket is for?

I would guess future development but the designer is currently on holiday so we have to wait before we can ask him. Maybe it's for an auto-image rotator.

I looked at the MyCommunity/ForumActivity webpage. It fails when you press the 'Next Page' or page selection dropdown box, by taking you back to previously viewed screen rather the next page of Forum posts.

I confirm that I see the same observation (Android Tablet), BUT if I then click the 'Forum Activity' tab again, it is Page 2 and not Page 1 that opens. Then Page 3 after transitioning again via the index page, and so on. So the 'next page' does work after a fashion, but is indicating that there is some broken code that needs repairing.

I looked at the MyCommunity/ForumActivity webpage. It fails when you press the 'Next Page' or page selection dropdown box, by taking you back to previously viewed screen rather the next page of Forum posts.

I confirm that I see the same observation (Android Tablet), BUT if I then click the 'Forum Activity' tab again, it is Page 2 and not Page 1 that opens. Then Page 3 after transitioning again via the index page, and so on. So the 'next page' does work after a fashion, but is indicating that there is some broken code that needs repairing.

I believe we reported it some considerable time ago and it remains on the IT to-do list.

I never noticed the connector below the DCC PCB when I took my HD Sir Nigel Gresley apart but I am glad you mentioned it. I will do some further investigation. Perhaps it is there to add Keep Alive/Stay Alive power. Now I know it is there, I will see if I can trace the connections. That would explain why they designed a new PCB for 8 pin.

Who cares about the rotation, it is definitely not worth all the posts about it. You criticise me enough for doing things like that.

Back to the connector it cannot be for speaker as on 8 pin the speaker has to come straight off the decoder. Initially I thought power feed like Keep alive/Stay alive but again I think you need extra connections to the decoder. Why on 8 pin which is a dying interface.

Really weird it is a two pin connector and it connects to pads L+ and L- on the PCB. One of the pins goes to pin 8 of the decoder. I can't find where the other pin goes. Different subject but did you know that there is an entirely different loco to tender drawbar on the Hornby Dublo Sir Nigel Gresley. Obviously Hornby have been very busy in the last year.

Both the Hornby Dublo Sir Nigel Gresley and the Flying Scotsman have the new drawbar connection. It just plugs in and contains all the electrical contacts. Very neat. Much like that seen on the Dapol Manor and others. A great improvement over the old style with the trailing wires.