Mystery Socket in Hornby Dublo Locos

TT-Man

No the other pin on the two pin connector didn't go to pin 4 on mine. Definitely got continuity on the other pin to pin 8. I must admit as it is my very expensive HD Sir Nigel Gresley I gave up at that point. I did notice that the tender pickups are hard wired to the board it might be that this connector was meant for the tender pickups but at the last minute they found out that there was a fault with the board so ditched it. There again I cannot think what L+ and L- stand for, L is normally short for inductor but I have no idea. Loudspeaker is normally SP so it is not that.

If it were a suppression circuit without the inductor fitted, the rails supply would be open circuit as suppression inductors are in series in the track supply. The opposite to suppression capacitors which are in parallel.

L could be lights as in running lights for a steamer, cab lights for a diesel or firebox flicker or smoke unit or link to some other device in the tender. When the designer gets back we may get an answer.

Yes Fishmanoz you are probably right but on the pcb there are several surface mount component positions not populated so it could be in series. Similarly it could be for lights again because of the missing components I wouldn't have found a link to the pin on the DCC socket. I must admit L for lamp makes more sense.