Getting the Right Sound Decoder

Gundog53

My OO gauge layout is currently analogue, but I have decided to to change to DCC. With the help of some club member friends I have purchased a new controller (model ANE LD101). Now I want to get my first loco converted with a sound decoder and I have been reliably informed that the Hornby ones are good as well as being reasonably priced.

I would like to know which Hornby sound decoder model would be suitable for a Bachmann Class 64XX DCC Ready - 6 Pin? Is there more than one choice from Hornby? I'm not experienced in the DCC subject, so please don't blind me with science.

Hope you can help.

Hi Gundog, may I start by asking if you have had a look at the HM | DCC HM7000 forum and information on the website? This system is newly-launched this year and has some really capable sound decoders available. And to run such decoders, you don’t need a controller at all, it’s done through a free app which you install on your phone/tablet, only available for Apple currently but an Android version coming. Also, the sound profiles for many locos are downloadable with a number available already and more coming all the time (nothing specific for your Pannier Tank right now).

On the controller you’ve bought, seems to have a reasonable spec but one limitation - 2 Amps, 4 would have been better. It will limit the number of locos etc you can run. And the DC/DCC capability is somewhat illusory because, as soon as you convert one loco and run it DCC, you can’t leave the remaining DC locos on the track without burning out their motors. If you are currently in a position where you can return this controller for a refund, just keep that possibility in mind.

On sound for your loco - there are no 6-pin sound decoders in the HM7000 range. Not sure about other brands. You could get a 6-8 conversion connector and use the HM7000-8TXS but space may be a problem in a small 0-6-0 loco.

That’s some info to think about. I’m sure there will be others along to add to this.

Hi Fishmanoz

thank you for your help. I have seen the new Hornby system, which looks good, but I don’t like the idea of using the mobile. Just a bit old fashioned. I saw the sound decoder at my club and it was very impressive. Your information has been useful. I hope someone else may have an answer concerning the Pannier and a suitable sound chip. Thanks.

I will probably get some abuse but if you are talking Pannier tank loco then in most cases the latest offering from Hornby will be too big I am not even sure that they do it in 6 pin. If you don't mind paying for a decent sound decoder (about £124) then you will definitely find one that fits. If you go onto the YouChoos website or the Road and Rails one they have a range of small 6 pins decoders that will fit. Road and Rails also throw in a free speaker. These decoders work on a normal DCC system. The ANE LD101 looks ok, I must admit until you mentioned it I have never heard of it, if you find that it is limited then you can always upgrade later. By then there be an even better DCC controller at a reasonable price as the technology improves.

Hi Colin

Thanks for your response. I was hoping to use a Hornby one because of the price and the sounds I’ve heard on locos with one installed have been good. Perhaps this will have just the the decoder and I will choose another loco to fit a sound chip.

£124 is a lot but my upgrade to DCC wil have a few with sound. Perhaps on my Manor or Grange class I’ll fit a sound chip.

Thanks Colin. 👍

I have arranged a decoder for my pannier tank thank you. What about a Hornby Flying Scotsman which is 42 years old, a present from my wife. It would be great to convert it to DCC with sound. Any suggestions for a make/model?

Thank you.

I have arranged a decoder for my pannier tank thank you. What about a Hornby Flying Scotsman which is 42 years old, a present from my wife. It would be great to convert it to DCC with sound. Any suggestions for a make/model?

Thank you.

A loco of that age will first have to be converted to DCC either by hard-wiring in a decoder or better installing a suitable socket to make installation of the decoder easier.

We would need to know exactly which FS it is as there have been dozens of them over the years.

If it is a 42 year old loco then it is either tender driven or contains the X04 motor. As 96RAF says you need to know exactly which one to be able to do the conversion. The new Hornby sound decoders are according to the specification rated at 1 amp continuous so definitely they will run the motor as long as the motor doesn't have a magnetism issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for a very slow response and thank you for guidance on the Flying Scotsman. It’s hardly been out the box in 41 years until recently and cost my wife £27! A little lubrication and ran very well on the Club test track. The motor is in the tender.