A dilemma - Devaluing Limited editions?

81F

I have just bought a virtually mint LIMA class 47 in the original XP64 livery. When I opened it I found a certificate saying that it was part of a limited edition of 290. The price was only around £10 to £20 over the odds for a standard 47 so I think I got a bargain!

I am therefore wondering the best way to adapt it to run on my DCC layout without devaluing the loco?

My usual way of dealing with Lima Diesels) would be to unsolder all the wiring and replace with a DCC chip, except I would then keep the wires so the process could be reversed with a bit of soldering using the original parts.

Alternatively, I could use parts from my spares box, to hard wire it for DCC operation. Except I would need to use the the power bogie keeper plate/frame from the XP64 which thankfully only unscrews so is far easier to reverse.

Many thanks for any thoughts

PS did Hornby ever make a TTS sound chip for a 47?

Ask yourself why do you own the loco - is to invest in something which might be worth more one day and you might sell on, or is it to use and enjoy the model?

For me it's the latter. Any perceived "rarity value" is irrelevant, I bought it to use it as I see fit. If I feel it needs converting or upgrading I'll do it using which ever method results in the best job.

At one time it was considered devaluing a model. However in more recent times DCC has become more supported so items like 8 pin sockets can be fitted to non-DCC loco's. Providing the wiring and installation is up to scratch, and a DCC socket with blanking plug fitted there shouldn't be an issue. Devaluing nowadays comes with poor installations done by the less skilled, however there's a lot of people now skilled at such work out there. True collectors of course like everything factory fresh.

I actually took my double tender tender driven limited edition Flying Scotsman that I bought during the 1980s/90s and converted it to loco drive. It still looks the same although it is now DCC ready (DCC fitted in my case). I took the opinion that these limited editions don't fetch much and I wanted to use it on my layout. It is probably worth more in bits, those separate water only tenders fetch more than the loco. I did sell some limited edition Hornby models from the 1980s , they didn't fetch much more than a standard ringfield tender driven loco.

Many thanks, I thin I will sort of play safe, I'll use the spares to create a running chassis but will need to find a non running motor bogie to supply the Keeper plate as I had removed the coupling which I now need, so will probably need to use the XP64s plate and be careful not to scratch the screws.

Only thing is I've been looking for a non-running Lima 47 for about seven years now and each time I've bought one I've managed to fix it (usually an broken wire joint.

The easiest to fix was a spares/repair where the dummy bogie kept falling off. As you may guess all I had to do was take the body off and slide the retaining clip back on, didn't even need to do a service just a very light oil!

@81F, I think I read somewhere that Lima issued over 90 Ltd Ed Class 47s. One of the things they did well as a company - along with their distributor, Riko Int'l - was handle small production runs relatively quickly, but this led to its own problems. I have never worried too much about Ltd Ed models and have a few. Were you to sell the loco on, you may have increased its value by adding DCC and/or sound.

I didn't thing twice about fitting DCC sound to my limited edition Duchess City of St Albans nor the Golden Jubilee Princess that my wife bought me for Xmas. I want to run them, end of.

I guess the real collectors would want pristine boxed examples.

Pre-DCC socket models tend to be the ones that can be devalued. Nowadays it all depends on the installers skills. Collectors nowadays will tend to ignore rewiring and the fitting of a DCC socket with blanking plug providing the work is neat, tidy and done properly, anything less will tend to devalue an older model as collectors like things as they left the factory. Anything that isn't factory spec tends to affect price with collectors. That limited edition worth £100 in factory fresh condition, may suddenly be worth £40 in "messed with" condition.

It’s simple really are you a modeller or a collector?

Not has if a Lima model is ever going to be expensive model anyway.

dose Lima have a following like Wrenn once had. Even Wrenn doesn’t hold its value anymore apart from the very rare models and even then. Lima just doesn’t conjure up the image of ‘One Day I’ll have one’ they were just never top shelf models.

@ Fazy

Yes, Lima does have a following, (well, of one at least smile). I have several Lima models, many I bought new back in the 80's and several I have recently obtained second hand. Alright, they may not be highly detailed, but they are generally speaking very good representations and they are among the most reliable of all the models I own. Personally I find their performance far superior to the modern "high definition" models produced by Hornby, Bachmann et al today. I would rather have a model that looks the part and does the job over one that has to sit in a siding looking pretty because it isn't up to the job in hand.

Hi

All my latest purchases have been Lima OO gauge wagons, 6x bogie fuel and milk tankers 2x 85T pallet trucks and 4 Super GUV's.

It surprises me at times just how many people are after the same types of modern rolling stock as I am after at a senceable affordable price.

I like Lima locos, they will run forever (as long as they don’t get Mazak rot). I think the problem with them was that with the diesels and electric locos they flooded the market with all sorts of limited editions that no-one wanted leading to a crash in the prices. I used to have to walk through the Arndale in Manchester every day and often called in Beatties where they had two Lima display cabinets full of brand new locos for £20 each when the rrp was usually £40 to £45. They were also heavily discounted in the model magazines.

I fully agree, I’d rather have something that runs and looks the part than an over detailed ornament.

I also liked the fact that Lima produced lots of parcels vans and coaches at a time when Hornby didn’t and modern image wagons as well. The wheels were pretty dreadful unless toned down though!