3 Surprises.

LesXRN

I spent yesterday working on the last 3 new loco's that I purchased. A Black 5, an 8F and a Duchess.

Surprise 1. The Black 5 box stated it was DCC ready, but to my surprise it was already sound fitted with TTS, now swapped for a Zimo and cube speaker.

Surprise 2. The box for the 8F stated it's a super detail model, but there is no mention relating to it being DCC ready, so I thought a hard wire would be in order. However, when I took the loco body off, there was a strange, to me at least, 4 pin blank in a DCC socket which looks factory fitted. Just to be safe I tried a spare cheap decoder which worked. So, in went a Zimo plus a cube speaker in the tender. Result!

Surprise 3. My new Duchess, City of Manchester, which has never been run, has a split final drive cog. It is a few years old but I'm still surprised it's a demic.

I only found out after fitting the decoder and speaker and putting it on the rollers.

A quick disassembly confirmed my fears. So, as I can't find an ooriginal spare part, I've ordered a brass cog from Ultrascale, but delivery is quoted as 7 months.

Not to be outdone, I found a spare chassis on the bay and ordered that too. I'll fix the broken one with the brass cog as and when it arrives and then I'll have a spare chassis.

As a side note. I've found using the rollers a great help in getting the chuff rate right, as well as the braking distance.

That is really good. You would be amazed at how many locos I buy that either don't run or run badly on DC only to find that there is DCC decoder in them. I was thinking of ordering one of those brass pinions but don't think I will now. There was someone on EBay selling the wheel pinion, Hornby use the same one on a lot of their models. I think it is the same as the old rebuilt Merchant Navy and Flying Scotsman.

I wonder if they are 3 d printing them, if you can. Otherwise I have no idea. I fitted then to a couple of my wheel sets that I had replaced with new wheels, because that initially was the only way to get the gear. I just thought it was good that someone sold them.

Further to my initial post. Despite Ultrascale stating 7 months on their website, it actually took just 2 days for the part to be posted, wonderful!

I'll see how the brass cog works out and let you all know, but first, I have to go to the UK to collect it from my daughters.