Decoder ''failure'' query

pee trust

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just before the bank holiday I tried to load each steam engine profile without success. I tried again today a couple of them and got the same result. I then tried…… one of the diesel engine profiles…… and it uploaded sweet as a nut. I now have Blink Bonny running around sounding like a modern train. I’m convinced there must be something wrong with the decoder steam engine sound profiles rather than the track layout, procedure etc. ☹️

Edward, if any profile loads, most unlikely the decoder is faulty.

Keep trying and follow the various advice on a number of recent topics incl this one using separate track piece, recommended power supply (not a DC controller), tablet close, only one app open, good wifi etc.

Well, I’ve read and followed all the advice on this forum which is a duplicate of the advice I have received from the helpdesk and I still have two decoders which are neither use nor ornament. I started off with a working default system and then as I tried to load the TT profiles appropriate to the model my troubles started. Having initially had success, I am reluctant to believe my test track to be suspect although willing to accept it could be. The finger surely points to the downloads/files. In this day and age an upload should work and behave as expected first time, every time and be flexible to support individual configurations. 

Can you image if these issues manifested themselves every time Apple or Microsoft put out a release?

I would happily bin the whole set up and take up knitting – that is how these issues have drained my excitement and enthusiasm from the hobby. 

Clearly there are issues with the decoders that this forum is testament too – I would like to see Hornby being a little more proactive for the sake of others, who unlike me are willing to stick at it.

It has already been stated on the forums that those folk who cannot for whatever reason get their decoders to work correctly should contact the dedicated HM.customercare@hornby.com helpline and request their decoders be exchanged for decoders pre-loaded with the sound profile of their choice (as available). The decoders upon receipt will be reworked and fully tested before despatch, thus assuring the user of a working article. Should the decoder play up after that then it points to a problem at the user end.

It is noted that some users are having problems with some sound profiles, but oddly others are not seeing these problems, which again points to a user end problem.

It has been proven time without number that most configuration problems such as seen with these decoders, setting up Railmaster, anti-virus interference versus installations, updating controller firmware, etc are eventually resolved when the user finally gets their ducks in a row.

Also important to note that the problems will largely disappear when sound-fitted locomotives are available to buy in a month or two. These are cheaper than buying locomotive and decoder separately, even before the reward points and/or Club discount.

Problems so far are to some extent early-adopter issues which will reduce as the app is updated and everyone gains experience.

HM7000 8-pin TXS bluetooth and DCC sound decoder. R7336

I have this 8 pin sound decoder for an 08 shunter.

The file download went well and has really good sound features.

A long story short - it works in the Bachmann 08 without issue.

When inserted in the Hornby 08, it stutters and stops - making it useless.

Switching emergency stop off/on recovers the sound before it fails again.

When a Hattons 8 pin non sound is inserted into this Hornby 08, it works fine with no stalling.

I suspect there is an issue with data retention within this HM7000 decoder, especially with micro interruption of contact to the rails/wheels. Sometimes after recovery, the sound increases with speed but the loco does not move.

I have reported this issue to Hornby.

I suspect there is an issue with data retention within this HM7000 decoder, especially with micro interruption of contact to the rails/wheels. Sometimes after recovery, the sound increases with speed but the loco does not move.

Your argument doesn't make sense. The decoder works fine in the Bachmann loco but not in the Hornby loco. The loco must be at fault not the decoder.

Your argument doesn't make sense. The decoder works fine in the Bachmann loco but not in the Hornby loco. The loco must be at fault not the decoder.

It makes complete sense and actually happens as quoted. The loco works fine with other decoders but NOT with the R7336. Yes, there is some reason why this happens on this loco but it sure displays an issue with the decoder.

There are quite a few cases of various decoders not working in some models but work well in others. It's not just Hornby decoders either, even some of the more highly regarded decoders have been seen to exhibit this problem.

There are quite a few cases of various decoders not working in some models but work well in others. It's not just Hornby decoders either, even some of the more highly regarded decoders have been seen to exhibit this problem.

I am concerned about the HM7000 decoders. I know of 3 other examples of this strange, similar behaviour (data related) on other layouts. This is not posted for a defensive response, it is meant as informative information for Hornby to learn from.

@Bill your comparison between the two locos is highly useful/informative as it highlights that your Bachmann 08 is collecting power far more effectively & consistently than the Hornby 08.

The non-sound decoder presumably works well in the Bachmann (since it does in the Hornby) but obviously a non-sound decoder requires less power than a sound one (& much less than a sound+Bluetooth HM7000).

Personally I would be more concerned (about the HM7000) if it was consistently rubbish in all locos - since this would indicate a faulty decoder. Your scenario definitely sounds like the fault is with the Hornby loco.

@LT&SR_NSE

I checked the power difference and it is minimal, only about 50 miilli amps at very slow shunter speed. So that is not the reason. Hornby are aware of other examples of erratic behaviour when these decoders are run from a DCC Controller.

I am interested to find out if others on this forum have similar issues.

I’ve read this discussion with interest as I am having “disappointments” with 8 pin HM7000 decoders. I agree that our YouTube carpet influencer irritates with his simplistic approach to all things Hornby in particular. He seems to think that todays models should still be priced at 2000’s levels. Get real S**, things have moved on in all respects.

But, back to the issue. I have converted to HM7000 and love the variety, flexibility and operating range of the app. Decoder size is an issue though. It’s not coincidental that OO demos’ (including Hornby’s own) invariably show a diesel as the selected loco. My layout is Era 3 (1920’s / 30’s) LNER and fitting the Bluetooth decoders to most of the period steam locos requires cutting away tender internals, especially if the power bank is to be added. Even then, it’s awkward to get all inside. I’ve suggested to Mr Kohler that the tender moulds be re-examined as it should be simple (ie cheap) to adapt the tooling so that these chips fit.

The biggest disappointment, however, has been with decoder durability. After 3 weeks of use, 2 of the five decoders I’ve fitted have failed (let’s not say burnt out). They just stopped working.

Although bought through Hattons, I’m returning them to Hornby as I know they are keen to get this system as reliable as possible. We know there have been big delays in the supply chain, but I just wonder if the pressure to get these out into the market place has resulted in quality control (as well as size) problems. Further conversions are therefore on hold, pending Hornby’s response.

• 6 months later...

Just bought a Hornby HMDCC decoder for my TT120 Flying Scotsman and when I fitted it found it was faulty. Checked with Hornby technical and they suggested checking CVs 150 151 and 152 values that they were correct. Cv 150 value as adjusted is now 0, CV152 value is 1 which is correct. Couldn't adjust CV151 to 255 as it wouldn't accept any value over 20. Sadly got to send it back to Hornby for a replacement. Not a good start for me as this was the first one I bought!