Perhaps test HM7000 on other systems eg Digitrax

Toots1707817904

I have a Digitrax EVOX Evolution Express Advanced 5A set and have been running them fine. Now have four trains with decoders installed and have had all four on the layout at once. All running fine. 

I am using my Digitrax DT602 to control the trains. Programming has been via a borrowed iPad until Android app. Have controlled trains using the App in combination with the DT602. Again all fine, control, sounds, etc.

Only issue I have had is setting the long address for each train. I now know to set it twice and then do the CV refresh on the App. That seems to make it stick.

Here's a youtube video with them running. This one has three running at once.

There is nothing to stop forum members doing their own testing and reporting back the results.
Could be costly. I’ve blown two decoders.

Testing within the published guidelines obviously, but that can change as current wisdom says that the damage is likely done by voltage spikes say due to a track short or from the ‘noise’ generated during turning up the voltage.

If you had a scope you could watch the effects of this noise from any controller. I have been monitoring the effects of a repeated direct track short (coin test) when powered by the ‘orrible R8250 and rather poor R7229 controllers. Not as bad as you would expect. Decoder is still alive and kicking despite the abuse.

Hi

Good to see it working 

I have just uploaded two videos 

The following is using the the Hornby Elite

As you can see the loco works OK

If I put the loco on me loft layout using Digitrax it judders.

I have no idea why and what to do 

Any help would be great

Thanks Bryn

Hi

Good to see it working 

I have just uploaded two videos 

The following is using the the Hornby Elite

As you can see the loco works OK

If I put the loco on me loft layout using Digitrax it judders.

I have no idea why and what to do 

Any help would be great

Thanks Bryn

Have you tried swapping the controllers over?
My main layout was giving problems, whereas my test track wasn’t. I remove some connections from the inner tracks and it now works fine. I am going to reconnect the various tracks in stages to see if the issue reappears.
I have no idea why this was happening, but clearly the track layout/wiring was having an effect.

• 4 months later...

Have you tried an auto-calibrate. Set loco on a long clear track, ensure F0 is OFF, then write value 0 to CV149. This primes the auto-calibrate facility. Now press F0 and the loco will shoot off quickly for about 2 metres, then stop. Auto-calibrate is complete and the loco should run much better.

I too have run my HMDCC-fitted locos on the Digitrax DCS210+ and DT602 Controller, and have had no issues at all. Indeed, I’ve had up to 5 locos running simultaneously using this method.

Obviously you firstly have to switch each loco over to DCC operation within the App, and then activate the loco on the DT602 using its short/long address, but thereafter, the locos have all worked fine for me.

I presume you’ve then checked the usual culprits of poor running: clean wheels, track and pickups? If those are all good, what method have you used to attach the track power leads from the DCS210+ to the power bus?

My own experience of using Digitrax has been excellent, so I can confirm that the HMDCC decoders work well on this system.

From my experience juddering is dependant on the relationship of the decoder with the motor, all the DCC controller does is give it the right command. So I think it really depends on what locos you are using the HM7000 for. I must admit though I never see it on a Zimo decoder, sound or normal, but I have seen it on others.

• 2 months later...

ITrain 125 issue

Hi

I realised I was only getting the issue after I had used iTrain.

I reset all the locos on the Digitrax command station.

On my test track with one loco in iTrain the HM7000 loco worked OK.

I deactivated all locos and added them one at a time.

I had set my Class 43 to decoder code 125 because it was a Virgin 125

When I added this train the fault returned I change the decoder code to 25 and the fault went away.

So my current thinking is the HM7000 decoder creates fault with iTrain if there is a loco decoder set to 125.

No idea why but currently all is working. 

All my decoder codes are now short addresses. 

There is some indication on the internet that short address are up to 123 or 127 not sure which is correct so I am keeping mine below 70 from now on.

It has been suggested on the iTrain forum that I should keep the short address below 99. 

I will keep testing and report my findings. 

Mod note - excess white space edited out. Suggest you ditch your other spacier post.

It has been noted that addresses within a certain range are problematic are are being looked into.

An explanation of short and long addresses and their ranging according to some controllers is very well explained in the HM7K decoder manual appendix 2.