Crescent Valley Heritage Railway

Chris98

Posted (edited)

Thank you. Very helpfull. I am researching the lenz LS150 and yamorc yd8816 amongst other options. The LS150 looks the better option presently...........this decision could take weeks 😂

Edited by Chris98

1 hour ago, Chris98 said:

Thank you. Very helpfull. I am researching the lenz LS150 and yamorc yd8816 amongst other options. The LS150 looks the better option presently...........this decision could take weeks 😂

I am very happy with my Digikeijs DR4018 switching decoders, which are the "ancestors" of the YaMoRC YD8116. They are ideal for switching railway points due to the possible peak current of 2.5A per connection and 5A maximum load of all connections together.
The connections can also be reprogrammed from switching to continuous, for lighting, for example.

Edited by Ilmson

Posted (edited)

I have been running all my locos (11) to see which ones have issues derailing. I had put to one side 4 and earmarked them for return to Hornby as the rear tender or front bogies would cause derailments all over the place. Well, not any more! 20240827_143109.thumb.jpg.32125ff6eebec9d68078e47e013d2681.jpg

As per Rallymatt's brilliant suggestion and video I got these, ran them along the wheels loads of times. Wow what a difference. Back in love with my layout again!

Edited by Chris98
  • Like 2

I’m well chuffed this has worked out for you. I feel all my efforts and banging on about getting the wheel back to back sorted has been worth it, just to hear you say you are loving your layout again😁.  Constant derailments and shorts are so infuriating. When it all runs smoothly though, it’s fantastic 

• Like 1

Just need to sort my duchess of atholl out now. It goes forwards a few centimetres then stops and makes a humming noise then make it go in reverse and the same!!!!! I am sure one way or another I will fix it. 

It’s the valve gear. Something is catching, the motor is humming because it’s stalling it. Don’t keep it humming! Check the piston rod is aligning in the cylinder and that all the rod joints are clearing the rods. It’s probably only one joint that’s catching in each direction. Slight tweak will sort it. If you are into it, pop body off and release the motor so you can manually check. 

53 minutes ago, Chris98 said:

Just need to sort my duchess of atholl out now. It goes forwards a few centimetres then stops and makes a humming noise then make it go in reverse and the same!!!!! I am sure one way or another I will fix it. 

Are we talking about one wheel revolution or more? If it's the latter, it's possible that a thread or piece of fluff has got caught in the gear box. I've had that problem with the Class 50 before, but mine started to limp. I cleaned it straight away and everything was running smoothly again.

Always keep the tracks clean, guys.

Posted (edited)

The wheels do not turn much. I can see no obstuction/dirt/hairs anywhere. It's under warranty so it makes sense to send her to margate for a service. Excellent help as always. I do suspect the valve gear but can not see anything obvious.  I am not yet brave enough to go poking about on a brand new loco. Thanks both. 👍

Edited by Chris98
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Progress to date. 

A cotswold stone wall made, painted and fitted ( thanks rallymatt) Two briges,not shown weathered.

Remaining 6 point motors now fitted to the upper level just waiting for the decoder. The surface one in the below image will be within a wooded area so not too visible when hidden under lichen.

20240830_145916.thumb.jpg.66724daa1174f8bf0b1c1b026f5abb10.jpg

Grassed the embankment 

20240830_161609.thumb.jpg.12beab4362ef9ddaf4e4cfb4964daa0d.jpg

and the engine shed area 

Screenshot_20240830_162814_Gallery.thumb.jpg.5691556d0622e99bce803d124b9cdd47.jpg

Coming together quite well now and soon be time for the finer details once I grass some small areas on the other two thirds of the layout.

20240830_161057.thumb.jpg.55de9a896f0ba3ac4793a62d805070c2.jpg

Nearly forgot. Made some trees, they are drying and will be added soon to the signal box area.

Edited by Chris98
  • Like 5

Always room for a church which I got this week and it is very well detailed as it comes. Also seen the little fergie tractor now available from oxford so in readiness I thought I would make a start on what will be some fields by making the walls. Looks a bit like the somme 😂 needs grassing and a few trees yet.

Screenshot_20240901_175002_Gallery.thumb.jpg.b1d93542656ffd9a3fb7f186124e8c40.jpg

Edited by Chris98
  • Like 3

Well after loads of thinking , planning, errors, trials, frustrations amd injuries 😂 I think the end is now in sight 😃 Every single point motor now fitted and working and now on top of the scenery. There is still alot to do but nothing major, its mostly the small details. View of the opposite end to Lilbourne station.

20240902_191719.thumb.jpg.17288a6188c4677f884d69972bf9049e.jpg

Best bit so far? Grassing and trees as that makes everything come to life

Worst bit? Building all those individual red retaining wall sections. Thats why I changed to the grey noch walling 😂.

Taking a break for a bit. Back soon.

Edited by Chris98
  • Like 5

Latest pic of my church/field area. Embankment where the signal box stands is done, just needs grassing once the ballast has dried. 

Screenshot_20240903_114623_Gallery.thumb.jpg.80000ece87960aecd9ae13a27804d869.jpg

At this rate I may have a photo to submit for the competion 😂

• Like 8

Added bushes/hedges/weeds to the fields and rocks.  

Had to stop myself covering the entire layout with them 😂 Very therapeutic

Screenshot_20240907_122809_Gallery.thumb.jpg.2fce9cc291135af47beef0a0a280eebb.jpg

20240906_191231.thumb.jpg.d205a0599f7774a3e248c570ccfcf900.jpg

and trackside on the embankment

20240907_112859.thumb.jpg.db68fb77e66c71751f82fb9bedb643a0.jpg

I have one point (pic 2 above the retaining wall) that's causing me a real headache as the wheels on the loco rise up and derail as its uneven. After rigorous investigation and swearing, a clamp and some glue should sort it 🤞

Edited by Chris98
  • Like 7

Is it just me? 

So far this week has been a nightmare. The problem point now fixed however having got my atholl back from repair my mallards (warranty expired) body lifted up and sheered the plastic body fixing from the chasis screw 🥵 it was running fine and I have not run it that much.

I have a curved area of track I need to replace as the duchesses derail everytime at this curve but no other loco's do. Thats an easyish fix but feel at this stage should not be necessary. 

One surface point needs looking at as coaches derail when going over it but only in one direction and then there was this,

20240910_191603.thumb.jpg.fa00e45ae3a4eb13d857cf9c0c4c5759.jpg

the tiniest spec of ballast that only seen by taking this photo and zooming in causing tenders to derail on duchesses but no other locos.

Also issues with my two hornby isolated crossovers as they short when locos go over them but only in one direction 😭

I think I may step away for a while as I have thought about stripping everything from the base board earlier and starting all over again without the upper level.............. 

I like my layout just not all the issues! I think I just need a break and another call to hornby cust services re my mallard 🤕

• Like 2