Hornby R3873 APT 5 Car set

jaguar12

I'm awaiting a brand new Hornby R3873 APT set arriving tomorrow.

I read that the APT set needs three DCC decoders to operate fully (including lighting).

There seems to be a suggestion that space is very tight when you undo the flaps on the bottom of the set.

If I used three 8 pin Hornby R8249, is that going to be very tight, or would a different decoder from someone else be a better choice?

Thanks

I watched Jenny Kirk fit the three in her APT, the big issue was with the function decoders, she used 6 pin ones for the function decoders in the two driver units as the make she advertises and uses, only makes them in 6 pin. She used a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter which doubled the amount of wire and caused issues. The Hornby normal decoders are pretty small anyway, so I assume you shouldn't have the same problem. I assume you bought the bargain one off TMC, as I did, so I will be doing the same thing soon.

Yes indeed you’re right! I took a punt (last minute) on the reduced priced APT set late yesterday. Think I hooked one of the last in stock. Not used TMC before, and thought I’d missed out as I never got a confirmation email or anything until early today. Tracking shows it’s due first thing tomorrow.

Was also pleased to also get free delivery, so upgraded to Royal Mail tracked 24 for a few pounds.

Thanks for the advice about the decoders. I’ve got a couple of Hornby R8249’s, so I’ll get another one.

Yes LaisDCC decoders for lights and Hornby R8249 will work fine. As Barry-350851 said the LaisDCC decoders will even be ok for motor control. The only issues I have had with them is that they are a bit sensitive to a bad DCC signal you get with dirty track, but then I am comparing them to a Zimo decoder. They are no worse than a lot of makes and a lot better than some.

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't done this yet I found with mine that if you take the coach apart there is extra room between the socket and the seating on the driver cars. I am surprised nobody else has noticed this. The real annoying thing is with a little more thought when they designed it, they could have created a slot or something to allow easy access, rather than taking the whole driver car apart. The LaisDCC decoder would fit, if you shortened the leads. I just carefully took the driver car apart.