Hornby class 50 fans overloading decoder

TVR1707822112

Hi again all,

I also own a Hornby 50 (see my previous posts about it on this forum), and am looking to DCC fit it. I have seen a couple of videos on YouTube saying that the belt driven fans can overload decoders, but with them (the belts) still fitted will a Hornby TTS decoder work fine with it or do I need to either:

1 Fit a More powerful Bachmann 8 Pin decoder

2 Cut fan belts and use Hornby TTS decoder

Any Help is appreciated, thank you in advance!

Best Wishes

Don't know about the 50, but I have three of Hornby's Electrotren 316s - CoCo locos with belt drive fans. Two have lenz Standard Plus and the other a loksound V3.5. No issues at all. I don't see why the fan should cause much of an issue as it will cause minimal extra work for the motor compared to the effort required drive through the gear towers. I would have thought that if Hornby offer a Class 50 TTS decoder, they would have tried it in their own model.

I reckon the fans are pretty pointless and as one of mine has started squeaking, it is very close to getting the snip!

Lenz and LokSound have a higher current rating. The motor can't draw more than its "stall current" so if the stall current of the motor is under 0.5 of an amp then no issues. I think the TTS has a current limit anyway so if it goes slightly over then I suspect the sound will stop first.