Removal of waterslide transfers.

ColinB

I have just bought a second hand A1/A3 loco. Someone has put the later British Rail transfers over the originals on the tender. They are huge. I assume they are so huge as to cover the originals. It looks like they didn't varnish them, so if I put the tender top in a bowl of water will they just slide off.

My experience stripping back the paint on Hornby (Electrotren) locos is that the original printing is fairly robust and I doubt they would come off in water. Most didn't want to come off after a week in IPA! If the previous owner has put varnish over the decals then that's another question but see how the bowl of water - or even rubbing with a wet cotton bud - works first.

If they are waterslide decals and NOT varnished, then they could come off quite easily with 'gentle persuasion', perhaps a cocktail stick, and should flake off.

If lacquered, then you're .... ered! Sorry, had to!

Obviously will be substantially more difficult.

Al.

They just flaked off when I rubbed them. Shame was the ones they had used were totally out of scale, so I assumed that the originals would be underneath. Sadly not the case, so I will have to find some new ones the right size.

@ColinB

If you order more, my advice is don't order them from Modelmaster. He will likely take your money and not deliver your transfers. In another thread I mentioned having to lodge a complaint to Paypal after ordering from him and claimed my money back. Others on here have had similar experiences of not receiving their items. Thing is, after my Paypal claim he announced on his website that he had ceased trading with Paypal and all orders now have to be payed by bank transfer. He also said that if you have payed by Paypal and want a refund to ask him direct by email as Paypal claims result in him being fined £24 per order, (suggests he's had a few claims against him). On the email side, I emailed him three times to ask where my transfers were and got absolutely no response, so that route will probably be fruitless too. He cited also on his site that problems with orders over the past year had been due to some disastrous situation with his landlord resulting in him losing his premises. Well my answer to that is, if he knew there would be problems in fulfilling orders, why did he keep taking people's money instead of suspending operations until his situation was resolved.

Bottom line is, if you pay by bank transfer and still don't see your transfers it will be even harder to get your money back.

I must admit I was going to buy them from a model shop so I can see what I am getting. I am off to York in a few weeks time for a holiday where there are decent model shops and of course TMC, which we don't have around here. Thank you for the advice though.