Installing TXS decoder to Hornby Dublo A4

Thanks, Rob. Part of the image you posted seems to have disappeared but I'm sure there was an end view of the plug which looked square. Anyway I'm not really bothered. As I said, I would simply use the lead with plug from a duff or otherwise speaker that I was replacing.

Just ordered two packs of five plugs and cable harness for TXS off ebay. The seller is out of stock now but it's worth looking every now and then. I searched for TXS speakers in the model railway category.

I'm still waiting for the speakers I ordered to be delivered I think they'll probably come today. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

I've just received my parcel from roads and rails the bass enhanced speaker isn't in the box so I've messaged them, I'm sure they'll sort it out for me.

The iphone speaker already has a tiny two pin plug on it which looks like it could be suitable but I won't know without looking and I don't want to remove the tender top until I get both speakers to try out, reason being I've already had the top off several times and I'm scared of stripping the thread on the tender top.

I've just received my parcel from roads and rails the bass enhanced speaker isn't in the box so I've messaged them, I'm sure they'll sort it out for me.

The iphone speaker already has a tiny two pin plug on it which looks like it could be suitable but I won't know without looking and I don't want to remove the tender top until I get both speakers to try out, reason being I've already had the top off several times and I'm scared of stripping the thread on the tender top.

I’ll be interested to see if they fit. When I looked online I couldn’t find any plugs that small (even from the Japanese manufacturers). In any event, I bet it’ll be a nightmare to connect the wires. Let us know how you get on @train Mad, please.

Hi Pendragonsai. I won't need to fit wires to the plugs I will just have to snip and solder the wires together, either using the existing plug, or one of the connectors I've ordered on ebay, or the one on the iphone speaker if it fits.

I will do an update when I've fitted one of the new speakers. Hopefully one of them will fit they are both very thin, in addition another problem my soldering skills are not really up to scratch so it's fingers crossed. Thanks for your interest.

The bass enhanced speaker came this morning excellent service from roads and rails.

I won't attempt fitting until the connectors I ordered on ebay arrive then I won't need to cut the existing cable, just in case I need to put it back.

forum_image_64a00d01e4657.thumb.png.8898ce8e312fc40f2fe290e809dec601.pngI've attached a picture of the iphone speaker plug, I won't know until I take the tender top off if it's suitable for TXS or not but it does look similar.

Just a little update the connectors came this morning, I was thinking they'd got lost in the post as the seller sent me a tracking mumber last Saturday.

I can confirm that the plug on the iphone speaker is not suitable for TXS it's bigger. I will do another update once I've attempted to replace the speaker, it might be a while because I'm all to aware that I can make a mess of this if I'm not careful. In the past I've ruined at least one very nice engine although it wasn't as expensive as this one, in fact nowhere near it.

forum_image_64a97a656fb95.thumb.png.4d955ea8d8931e011733176911f20fe6.png

I thought I'd let you know how I'm getting on. I bought locally a 1 inch 8ohm full range speaker which I think is the same or similar to the ones used in hornby sound fitted Loco's, I knew this would fit if the others didn't.

Before attempting anything I tried out for the first time my Sir Ronald Matthews which has an ESU Loksound decoder fitted, I'm not sure which version because railmaster says it's 59. On trying it out and comparing it to my TXS decoder with a tiny speaker it does have more bass but not by much and it also sounds muffled compared to the TXS which is crystal clear.

In view of this and the fact that I've managed to knock a drivers cab door off Sir Ronald Matthews whilst putting it on the programming track, I've decided to leave it has it is. I'll glue the door back on when I pluck up courage, me and glue don't mix.

Sorry for all the hassle, and thanks again for all advice given.