Bit of fun - Class 56 load test ..

atom3624

Most of the 100-tonne TEA wagons are coupled using Hunt's magnetic couplings, and that 56 can easily uncouple them if not careful, but may ... try to go nose-to-tail just to complete the silliness.

The controller was only on <45 (of 100) so it really wasn't trying much at all!

Al.

I counted 46 in consist, which is a good test. Here's a vote for reckless testing, go for 47.

I'd also like to see the 56 start from dead stop under a large load. Does it struggle or handle it effortlessly? That is down to the operator and the finesse at the controller, as much as locomotive tractive effort.

Well done Al, well done.

Bee

TBH, I received another Turbot, and added more LMS coaches - perhaps room for one coach to the locomotive.

Result?

TBH, it was easy - the problem was the Hunts couplings not taking the strain unless I was smooth - which the 56 is.

Traction, and from rest, again, remarkably easy!!

I was starting to get a couple of annoying derailments, so I've gone a little more sensible, but traction was pretty stunning!

It needs even less power to get going, is nearly as smooth, and just not quite has the same traction as the H66 Hattons Class 66, but a REALLY powerful locomotive!

Al.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for the big EWS Class 60 to come out and play!!

This is perhaps 20g heavier than the EWS Class 56, which is 10g heavier than the non-fan large logo Class 56 - makes sense.

All 3 are over 600g and with excellent motors and 12-wheel-drive, traction is not really an issue!

Al.

Effortless starts! The locomotive pulled away without any struggle at all. That's a real test.

The coefficient of stiction is almost always higher than the coefficient of friction for material pairs.

The rolling friction of the consist already in motion will take less tractive effort to stay in motion, than the tractive effort to cause the consist to begin motion.

We apply tractive effort to the standing consist, until the tractive effort overcomes the retarding stiction. Motion begins. At this moment, the retarding force drops, as the friction regime starts and the stiction regime ends. It takes a steady hand to accelerate the consist without banging or wheel slip.

Bee

I've fitted the alternative couplings to the Dapol Turbots, which are very free rolling, and also, erm ... a single 1mm thick strip of lead is underneath the moulded loads - they're 'a decent weight'.

Those coupling mean all 11 move as one.

BTW I had a Black 5 pulling that load, with perhaps 25% wheelslip - good traction from the 5's with the sprung rear axle.

The load's presently being hauled slowly by a Bachmann rat! Love those little locomotives, and they weigh ~450g!

Al.

Final little play with a 56, for now.

This was really very easy - just the carriages which wouldn't permit adding more - started derailing with the tension required.

19 coaches (LMS are very free-rolling, LNER 'not bad')

(I see a wayward finger near the end - just stays out of the way of the moving train!)

Al.