Glue Damage on Mallard

Luke-361776

I am looking to purchase a Mallard on eBay.

The model is:

R3395TTS

Mallard

4468 Class A4 (sound fitted)

The photo clearly shows the glue damage where it appears to run down from the chimney base and down the right side of the train and to towards the front right buffer. They are not aware of the type of glue but they mentioned that they had purchased it on Hornbys website with the glue damage there but didn't notice it as they hadn't opened the box until listing it on eBay.

Is there any way to fix the damage or would I have to either see if Hornby can help or possibly fix it myself (I'm terrible at painting etc so I'm worried about how it would look) but this is my first time getting into Hornby after having some as a kid a few years ago so I'm not sure what to do.forum_image_64b443ed23f80.thumb.png.cf2b14916c1191d3f8eac3bf78458386.png

That's a difficult one. The auction still has six days to run or you can make an offer. There is another TTS Mallard listed at £140 or make an offer. I would not think the seller of the glue damaged loco would accept an offer until nearer the end of the auction period, unless it was a high (ish) offer. I would keep "watching" this auction, and see how it progresses. I do of course appreciate someone else may put in a high offer which is accepted and you would lose out. It looks as though the chimney has been broken off, and an over liberal amount of glue has been used in fixing it - which I am sure could be carefully removed.

There will be others - best of luck.

If it were me? Pass. There will be other identical items.

If you are asking about the glue damage, you are bothered by the glue damage. It will be tricky to get it to look perfect. Frankly, I don't think it possible to "unsee" defects, even after they are fixed.

Unless there is a tremendous discount and you can get beyond the glue damage, let someone else "win" that one.

Bee

Personally, unless I know I can find another body, the way I am personally, I wouldn't touch it.

There are rivets where the glue is.

You could 'flat it', smooth to the best finish possible, mask off, then spray, which could hide the majority of the 'issue', but you'll always see it. Perhaps you find it acceptable?

You'll need to keep clear of the blue, but may possibly need to reline, and then lightly lacquer to seal in the lining - if new was required.

Over to you.

Al.

I am with the rest unless it is incredibly cheap or you have a spare body then pass on this one and wait for another. If your were to buy it weathering can hide a multitude of sins but then that costs extra money. How does someone get that much glue on it anyway? I can understand a fingerprint where you use the glue and then touch the body forgetting the odd traces of glue on you finger tips. I suppose they squeezed on the tube and it came out all at once, superglue is terrible for it.

Difficult to say much without knowing what the glue is. If it is solvent or solvent based then damage to the surface and to details such as rivets will have occurred and would be difficult to put right. If not solvent based it may be possible to pick it off and polish out any discolouration. I have done this successfully on a number of loco bodies including a Triang Lord of the Isles where someone had glued on a toothpaste tube cap in place of a missing dome (!). I would say make a low offer and look for a replacement body.

The other thing to be wary of with replacement bodies is there are 4 types. You can ignore the very early tender driven ones with slots in the front where the cylinder block clips in. The other three differ in the rear. Hornby changed the chassis for their Railroad Mallards on the later and current model and the slot at the rear where it attaches is further back. I assume this one is the later Railroad type. The Super Detail A4s have the earlier type chassis and the earlier China produced tender driven ones have an even different rear slot.

Personally, unless I know I can find another body, the way I am personally, I wouldn't touch it.
There are rivets where the glue is.
You could 'flat it', smooth to the best finish possible, mask off, then spray, which could hide the majority of the 'issue', but you'll always see it. Perhaps you find it acceptable?
You'll need to keep clear of the blue, but may possibly need to reline, and then lightly lacquer to seal in the lining - if new was required.
Over to you.
Al.

I have seen a few others and to be honest, after studying it in more detail and as others have pointed out, it seems as though the chimney was broken at some point and an excessive amount of glue was used to repair it. I think I will definitely give it a pass and just wait for one to pop up in the next few months or so. I saw the price which got me somewhat interested in it as it was a little under £50 but I'm not sure if there are any spare bodies as the glue damage is definitely not what I would be happy to work with and my friend told me it wouldn't be worth any effort either as you have stated since the damage would always be there. Thank you for you reply.

Most welcome.

I always try to give a straight answer in such things!

A4's have been selling quite well (prices quite high) and I don't see that many bodies TBH.

There are aftermarket brass parts which can be found to replace chimneys, buffer beams, etc.

There are different Hornby models, 'eras of sale' shall we call it, and detail - on top of 'Railway / Railroad' (Railway will have lamp brackets, glazing, small 'deflectors', sliding cap roof vents, Railroad may have glazing, but none of the others) the 'considered top models' have increased in their detail as well.

Last major body retool was around R2338.

Al.