Front Bogie Lifting/De-Railing

Too Tall

46 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

Back in the day, railway companies would perform surgery on locos to cope with certain platforms 😁

Most definately. The Gresley A1 buffer beams had all square corners until one took some platform edging off and they were then modified with the lower corners scalloped to give clearance.

Many WR locos were barred from up North as their cylinders, and front end swing would cause issues.

In 1967 Clun Castle did a trip to Newcastle but used the centre roads in York and was not allowed in Newcastle so came off on the King Edward bridge.

Another occasion a Hall I think it was ended up in Huddersfield shed as it had hit a platform or two and they had to work out a route how to return it without issues.

2 hours ago, Silver Fox 17 said:

Another occasion a Hall I think it was ended up in Huddersfield shed as it had hit a platform or two and they had to work out a route how to return it without issues.

Didn't something similar occur with the Deltic prototype?

1 minute ago, Les-345151 said:

Didn't something similar occur with the Deltic prototype?

Yes it did and I think (not 100% certain) that had something to do with the turn in on the bottom of the body sides being used on the production Deltics where the original was flat sided.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Les-345151 said:

Another example of WR loco clearance issues, 18100 had its (admittedly rather large) buffers severely clipped to venture into the wider world as E2001.

Prototype AC Electric Locomotive 18100

Wow, I doubt that would be allowed now 😄