Class 31 with Mazak Rot

Keith-360993

I bought a class 31 last week in Dutch livery. It was literally new in the box as it came from a seller who's father had passed away.

I unpacked it and got about unscrewing the body to install the new HM7000 decoder.

No problems so far but then when putting the body back the thing just fell apart. Both ends just broke off the chassis and the screw holes in the body just disintegrated.

Looking on the Internet this was a common problem.

Does anyone think Hornby would entertain a repair or have I just wasted my money.

You could contact Customer Services but I very much doubt that a repair would be possible because of the nature of the degradation of the chassis material and I believe Hornby exhausted their stock of replacement chassis blocks quite some while back.

I often wonder about those locos that are advertised on EBay as never coming out of the box, you never know if they have the rot. I have bought many rebuilt Royal Scot/Patriot loco advertised as the motor is slipping which is a give away for Mazak rot. It is interesting that Hornby does replacement chassis for rebuilt Royal Scot/ Patriot locos but not any others. There again I suspect Hornby would like us all to buy a new one even though currently they probably don't make one.

That's the thing.

You shouldn't have to, but if it's a 'red listed locomotive', always ask the vendor if there are any signs of swelling / MAZAK rot.

If they don't reply, failing the possibility they are away and not receiving messages, then that should be a red flag.

Al.

Trouble is as is the case with this Class 31, the Seller is selling it because someone has died and knows nothing about model railways. So Mazak rot will be completely alien to them and even taking the loco apart a task that is beyond them. It is Hornby's fault they should have done decent quality control on their manufacturer.

In all fairness to the seller the loco was in excellent condition and everything was boxed like it was new. I took it out and it was fine took the body off and again it was fine plug decoder and oiled it and ran it without the body for 20 minutes and it was absolutely fine.

Put the body on turned the first screw and it just fell apart !

When I've got some time I'll try the repair I found on line which involves cutting the ends of neater and gluing them inside the body end.

Many companies have fallen prey to Mazak rot. It’s very hard to tell if Mazak is bad until it’s too late. To be fair to Hornby they did replace chassis for many people and when they ran out they gave people a £100~ token, which I thought was decent considering when mine succumb i got a £100 token to cover a locomotive which cost me £70 brand new.

what the seller says and what the seller knows are two different things. I take the phrase ( “I know nothing’ with a pinch of salt nowadays when on eBay ) I have seen Hornby 31s with obvious body cracks and or buffers dropping being sold has excellent condition with price tags to match.

I know I have bought many basket cases off EBay and I always wonder if they knew or not. There again some people genuinely don't know so I normally just accept it. I recently bought a second hand buffet car off a well known firm in Liverpool and found it to be full of lead shot, it weighed a ton. I suspect even a Wrenn would have struggled pulling it. It was rare so I fixed it but it was obvious by its weight that something was wrong so how come they didn't. I bought a rebuilt Royal Scot off EBay the guy said that the motor didn't run properly so I got it cheap, that is when I was introduced to Mazak rot. Eventually I got it running with a new chassis when I mailed the guy to tell him why it didn't run properly, his comment was "I wondered why I couldn't get it to work properly".

Hi Colin, I find that Liverpool vendor very proactive.

I would have contacted them and asked for a 'consideration in view of limited description'.

Sometimes they accept and 'assist'.

I've asked them to consider offers on the fixed prices in the past - sometimes they bite, sometimes not.

Modern world. Don't ask ...

Al.

Yes atom3624 I should have done that, if it hadn't have weighed so much I would have sent it back. I just wondered how come they didn't notice.

On the subject of Mazak rot, I just recently bought another broken Royal Scot off Rails. It is ok it was advertised as having Mazak rot. I ordered a new chassis ready to change it but surprisingly the chassis was ok. The motor mount had it, as did the top mounting for the motor that fits on the the chassis but the actual chassis has no signs of it. I will change all of it but obviously the chassis was made of a different mix. Was is it on these models the valve gear is so flimsy, look at it and it breaks.

Valvegear, alignment, and managing to get all wires neatly stowed and body onto it ...

All of the above, but beautiful models nevertheless! I've 3 - 6100, 46100, 46115.

I need to work on 6100 as she's not as smooth as the others - reckon it's wheel alignment ... not in a hurry to do this work!

Al.