Hornby Dublo Rabbit Hole

Gary-363068

Hi all,

After recently visiting the Hornby Visitors Centre (13th July) I’ve fallen down a Hornby Dublo (HD) rabbit hole. Since my visit I’ve started collecting HD items mainly items on eBay purchasing items that are in a good condition and boxed.

What should I be aware of? What tips have you got for me on my HD journey? What should I stay clear of?

Any tips / help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks I’m advance.

Hi Gary.

I would join the Hornby Railway Collectors Association.

I am personally a member of the Wrenn Collectors Club as I have a collection of Wrenn rolling stock which is the Hornby Dublo 2 rail system under a different name.

Some Wrenn rolling stock are fitted with HD style couplings, all can be converted by removing the tension lock couplings and fitting HD style ones. So you can mix Wrenn with Hornby Dublo 2 rail rolling stock.

The one thing I can think of is to watch out for 3 rail HD rolling stock getting mixed with the 2 rail, the 3 rail rolling stock wheels and axels are not insulated so can short out 2 rail systems.

Gary, fair enough. I have many 3 rail and 2 rail HD locos. I must admit, i am hard pushed to see a diffence in looks. Certainly there will be more Red box stuff available. If you intend to run them, as i do, you cannot beat the sound of the 3 rail, running on the tin track. Tony is spot on about the rolling stock, many have been caught out with the metal wheels.

Gary, fair enough. I have many 3 rail and 2 rail HD locos. I must admit, i am hard pushed to see a diffence in looks. Certainly there will be more Red box stuff available. If you intend to run them, as i do, you cannot beat the sound of the 3 rail, running on the tin track. Tony is spot on about the rolling stock, many have been caught out with the metal wheels.

I think Gary's talking about the realistic look of the track rather than the locos.

The thing that surprises me a two rail HD loco is usually a lot cheaper than a Wrenn, but basically they are the same. Surely the Hornby Dublo two and three rail locos are the same except for the pickup arrangement and different front and back bogies. I know years ago I converted my 2 three rail HD locos to two rail using Wrenn parts. When HD were going they used to advertise the loco in the catalogue and you just picked whether it was two or the three rail option you ordered so the bodies are exactly the same, I don't know about the tenders though. I know Wrenn used Hornby plastic tenders.

Brew Man, yup your probably right. I certainly cant tell locos apart. Often pick up a 2 rail HD, in mistake for 3 rail one.

Yes, I'm afraid I am in the Gary camp. I got my first HD set when I was 10 and HD two rail had just come out. I'm not sure I'd have wanted one had it just been three rail on offer. I'd have probably gone for, (heaven protect me) Triang disappointed_relieved.

The usual way to easily separate HD 3-Rail from 1960s HD 2-Rail rolling stock is the box colour - if it is striped blue, then the contents were designed for 3-Rail operation, if it is striped red then the wheels would be insulated for 2-Rail operation (probably but not always completely plastic wheel sets) - of course someone may have put a 3-rail item in a 2-rail box... doh!

Unfortunately when the more recent 2-Rail HD range of locos was launched in 2020 - they forgot about the colour scheme (or deliberately went with 3-Rail nostalgia) so they were released in striped blue boxes. However these are all marked DCC Ready which will separate them (and no non-loco rolling stock has been released with HD branding outside of any sets)

If you intend running under DC control (rather than just collecting) original Hornby-Dublo (and Wrenn) locomotives, you will need a transformer/controller with a higher amperage rating than currently offered by Hornby with the exception of the R8012 HM2000 twin-track unit. Other manufacturers produce suitable controllers and, on the secondhand market, Hammant & Morgan Clipper and Duette units (of similar vintage) can be a good buy provided they have been checked over for electrical safety.

Hi

I had a long look at HD 2 rail last night on ebay, and almost brought two locos to add to my Wrenn collection, all they need is a Triang tender with tension lock couplings or a Wrenn one.

However as I asked to look at HD 2 rail only a surprising amount of three rail was shown as well as several New Hornby Dublo, some adds were worrying as the ads said for 2/3 rail, ok they were unboxed stock but were they 2 rail which can be run on 3 rail or 3 rail which can not be run to 2 rail (unless wheels have been changed to insulated ones).

some adds were worrying as the ads said for 2/3 rail, ok they were unboxed stock but were they 2 rail which can be run on 3 rail or 3 rail which can not be run to 2 rail (unless wheels have been changed to insulated ones).

The rolling stock that originally came in in red striped boxes (not the locos) is suitable for both 2 and 3 rail operation - as the coupling remained the same and having insulated wheels sets is not going to be a problem on 3-Rail (the non-insulated wheel sets on 3-rail stock is a problem on 2-rail)

If the seller is stating suitable for 2 or 3 rail then they have hopefully confirmed that the wheels are either plastic or insulated in some way

Hi Gary. Nice collection but a word of caution if you are keeping it in a glass cabinet. Card and plastic do not like sunlight, especially if concentrated through glass. My apologies if I am teaching grandma to suck eggs, but it would be a shame to see so nice a collection suffering the deleterious effects of ultra violet light. I am sure you will derive great pleasure from your collecting. Years ago I inherited a trunk full of HD three rail from a late uncle and have been adding odds and ends ever since. There's something about the solidity and engineering of of it that appeals. Enjoy.

Threelink, yup, agree. All my boxes, and there are a lot of them, are in 3 metal trunks. All locos/ stock on display shelves, both glass and wood, but in shaded conditions. There was a guy on ebay, selling his plastic locos, all of which had distorted, in the sun.