Hornby Customer Services

I assume as with all firms it depends on who you get. I had to phone them twice and on both occasions I have got wonderful Jackie who is very helpful and pleasant, plus she always sorts out my query. Email is not so bad these days, usually it is about two or three days although last week it was about a day. From my posts you will see that I am usually a critic of Hornby but I must admit their telephone Customer Service is excellent.

Whenever there has been an issue on Hornby’s end, item out of stock or need of a cancellation, etc etc, they are brilliant and very helpful and get in contact with me to let me know via a phone call.

I think when they were switching over to the Rewards Points system they were just overwhelmed with emails and I think I remember Hornby asking people not to email them about it, or to email a dedicated Rewards Points address, which was just as slow.

I will say that their HM7000 customer support is excellent and is very fast. I got a dud decoder, got in contact with them, and I think it was maybe 3/4 days from

emailing them, getting it sent back, having a chat with one of the Hornby engineers about the problem, and then getting back a new pre-programmed decoder. I was very impressed with how fast it all was.

Fortunately I haven’t had the need to email them for anything else in several months, but from others comments it does sound as if it’s improved.

With customer service enquiries, one thing that isn’t always considered is the actual nature of the enquiry itself. Usually if there is a simple/straightforward response, it will be answered faster than if research/investigation is required.

Some organisations (this doesn’t necessarily apply to Hornby) have members of customer service with specific areas of expertise, therefore enquiries get allocated to individuals. Response times would then be totally dependent upon the number of enquiries ahead of yours, in the allocated responder’s queue.