0-4-0 discussion

Henry-364262

If you are referring to the “Desmond/Smoky Joe”, GWR 101, Industrial loco and the ex-Thomas moulding then probably not. They are all designed to be cheap starter locos and making them super detail would defeat the object. There used to be a scale chassis available from a kit manufacturer for the Desmond type with proper rods and pistons but it needed assembly. The real GWR 101 had a much more complex chassis and there was only ever one loco so unlikely anyone will ever produce something for that.

As Going Spare says Hornby do produce some more refined 0-4-0 models in a higher price bracket.

The original Desmond type had separate handrails on the tank and one helpful 3D printer has made replacements available (along with the funnels) as they often get broken.

Yes you can easily install a DCC decoder in them the only issue is if you do the stall test the high stall current. When I measured mine they were above 0.5 amps the max for a Hornby decoder. I use a 6 pin adapter and a Zimo decoder. The mechanism on mine is still rubbish, "in line resistors" to slow it down rather than redesign the gearing, but they are meant as low entry units so I can forgive them for that. I assume the Pecketts have a much better mechanism. I must admit other than the ones I bought in the past I avoid Hornby 0-4-0s like the plague.

I didn’t find that video yet but did find one where someone has produced a ‘Cadbury’ style Avonside 3D printed body to fit the Smoky Joe type chassis. Accepted it’s a poor representation of the real chassis that these locos had but it’s another loco, and as I have said before, something Hornby could be doing themselves.