Accurascale compatibility

Largsbhoy

I am thinking of acquiring an Accurascale loco, either class37, class 55 Deltic or class92. I want to instal the 21 pin TXS sound decoder. Has anyone got experience of doing this to an Accurascale loco? My concerns are, will the loco operate prototypically with the TXS chip, will the sound be ok using the pre-installed speakers, what profile should be chosen, will the lighting work appropriately, or would it be advisable if more expensive to stick with the Accurascale DCC sound solution? I think HM7000 is brilliant but just feel unsure about its use in non Hornby locomotives. Grateful for any advice.

For a start there is no Class 37 sound profile for the TXS decoders yet.

Some folk have had problems getting all the lighting functions to work correctly on Dapol, Heljan and Accurascale locos, which require a 6 full function decoder (hardware function) due to the TXS having 4x full voltage and 2x logic level functions that require on-board the loco circuitry to work correctly.

I have an Accurascale 37 fitted with the 21-pin HM7000 chip. It runs beautifully and the built in stay-alive and speaker work very well. I didn’t bother fitting the Hornby speaker.

The class 31 profile is a good stop-gap until the 37 profile comes along.

Only issue I’ve found is the lack of lighting control. You’ll get directional marker lights, tail lights you can turn on and off at each end and the gauge lights. No headlight, engine room or cab lights. I have 37409 so I can’t comment on what you get with a DRS example.

It’s shame there’s no control over the headlights.

There is a guy on EBay that does a circuit board to convert to 2 logic outputs to full voltage ones. That is nothing unusual Zimo suffers from the same issue, if I remember rightly it is the D option verses the C option. It is probably a bit late now but I found with Accurascale it is cheaper to buy the loco with sound already fitted verses adding it later. By the time you have bought the HM7000 added the "stay alive" you are probably getting very close to the fully fitted option.

Which model 37 do you have and did you set the dip switches to anything other than the instructions on the card?

The reason I ask is that my 37409 does have instrument lights but no high intensity headlight, engine room or cab lights. I wonder if versions of the 37 are configured differently or have you found a way to sacrifice the instrument lights in favour of another lighting function?

• 2 weeks later...
...the built in stay-alive and speaker work very well.

Did you have to do anything to get the stay alive to work? Mine doesn't, and I think I read somewhere that it's a CV setting for those that purchased the 'official' decoder from Accurascale afterwards.

I just assumed that the stay alive functionality doesn't work with other decoders, so it's interesting to see someone who has it working with a non-accurascale (ESU) decoder fitted.

The HM7K decoder stay alive currently only charges when the loco is moving, no fiddling with CVs necessary or possible, but work is in hand to make this static charging by way of amending each sound profile, so it will take a while to update each profile for that’s across the sound library