Has anyone built the TT Track Pack layout?

taunmarc88

I have been wondering about the track pack layout and now people have got various bits to do it, has anyone made it?

I’d especially like to know how people found it in action and if anyone has tweaked it but kept the original vibe such as elongating the straights or doing something else with the first radius siding.

I was sold on TT originally as a way of putting the standard 8x4 / 6x4 into a smaller area. I’m thinking 5x3.

I like the engine shed area, Good for displaying a loco and it’s an ideal part of a model railway. I also thought of extending the straight section of the loop by one and then moving the back siding to the inner loop and having a single platform county station on the outside loop at the rear. For the front, probably no station at all and use a right hand point where the left hand one is now to make a siding or two for carriages. I do like to drive on the left and I think this would achieve that on the sidings.

I've not got as far as the full layout but have bought track pieces that allow full 3rd radius and 4th radius loops. It's always just a temporary layout (true tabletop) so changes every time, but my sidings tend to be on the inside, with at least one crossover but usually two. The loop is always longer than Hornby have it as that allows more internal space. At a radius of 396mm, the 4th radius loop easily fits within 3 feet (900mm approx) with some leeway. I might have another go tonight.

This example track arrangement is on a 900mm x 1600mm (2.95ft x 5.25ft) table and shows that a 4th radius loop can be fitted in that space and still (just) leave enough for an external siding as well as decent length internal sidings for shunting (where IS that pre-order for straight track?!).

Those of a nervous disposition please avert your eyes from the track’s proximity to the edge of the table. Those with eagle eyes please avert your eyes from the multitude of gaps/kinks in the track.

There are 4 straights in that loop, so it’s one length longer than the standard layout that Hornby have in their track pack layout. Going down to 2nd & 3rd radius loops would likely allow extending by another half straight.

There’re plenty of better permutations for the sidings - this just gives an idea of possibilities. If the table was 2 ft longer I could possibly get a decent 4-5 coach terminus platform in the centre

I’m currently debating two 4 ft x 4 ft boards that can be easily joined over this table vs a smaller layout in a modular & expandable form in a similar vein to @moawkwrd’s example on Vulcan Halt. Realistically though this is about all I’ll have for the foreseeable future, given other things going on.

forum_image_64e7b7005f128.thumb.png.66d5be93b2684a40f25711b579f72dfe.png

That looks good, I could have had more space and just had a longer loop but it would ruin the room that it is in so I’ve come up with this 5ft x 3ft loop layout which can accommodate two locos, maybe three at a push. I have added the siding at the top left to be the escape for a terminus station similar to High Fell if space opens up in the future. I could build such a module separately if necessary as a project and the connect the two when possible. I’ve used second and third radius. It allows the station on the outer loop and i think to my eyes 4th seemed out of proportion to the layout in my room.

Edit: Pic to follow once approved.

@Mocassin Enjoy a holiday and you’ll be pumped up and ready to go!

Ive just added a carriage siding to my proposed layout so I think I’ve added an extra 2 inches of depth. I didn’t like how I could only fit one set of three on the board… what if they need extra capacity in summer?

Wow Postman that’s a large loop, is it a branch line? I have left a siding sticking out as an escape route for a future expansion should such a thing happen…

Yes I have been told we are having an elevated section so devised this to go round and the connect up to the Track Pack and extra sidings for shunting when i get the decider for the shunter

Wow Postman that’s a large loop, is it a branch line? I have left a siding sticking out as an escape route for a future expansion should such a thing happen…

Yes I have been told we are having an elevated section so devised this to go round and the connect up to the Track Pack and extra sidings for shunting when i get the decider for the shunter

You’ve been told …😂

You’ve been told …😂

It was all part of the high level negotiations 😆

My dining room table is 200cm long but only 85cm wide so I may struggle. I currently have track packs 2 & 3 though not 1 or any other track or indeed a train set. Hopefully pre order will come through soon.

You can certainly easily fit a radius 3 loop on that, but the outer sidings on the full track pack layout might be a little close to the edge of the table for your comfort. You can extend the loop a little though and have internal sidings instead.

More train sets are apparently due in the next few weeks, so you hopefully won’t have long to wait for yours. With your track packs 2 & 3, you get a full radius 2 loop and radius 3 loop, so all should fit on your table. Given your width constraints, another track pack 1 might be a better addition than 4 or 5 as it gives you 5 more pieces of straight track.

The only feedback I’m getting when trying to design anything is ‘where’s does the castle go?’ … not overly helpful but an N gauge castle at the back could work …

The Victorians were very “good” at squeezing railways past and through castles (see Newcastle, Bangor and Berwick), so don’t give up on the idea…

(PS or a Spinal Tap sized Stonehenge…)

My dining room table is 200cm long but only 85cm wide so I may struggle. I currently have track packs 2 & 3 though not 1 or any other track or indeed a train set. Hopefully pre order will come through soon.

You can certainly easily fit a radius 3 loop on that, but the outer sidings on the full track pack layout might be a little close to the edge of the table for your comfort. You can extend the loop a little though and have internal sidings instead.
More train sets are apparently due in the next few weeks, so you hopefully won’t have long to wait for yours. With your track packs 2 & 3, you get a full radius 2 loop and radius 3 loop, so all should fit on your table. Given your width constraints, another track pack 1 might be a better addition than 4 or 5 as it gives you 5 more pieces of straight track.

I’m very tempted to pre order the Easterner as well as the Scotsman. Not that there’s any specific plan but it seems like it would give me the extra track plus the trains / carriages

I’m very tempted to pre order the Easterner as well as the Scotsman. Not that there’s any specific plan but it seems like it would give me the extra track plus the trains / carriages

Just be warned that you will end up with a lot of 2nd & 3rd radius curves that you’ll struggle to use in that space. That said, the Easterner set is cheaper than buying a locomotive & carriages individually - you essentially get two carriages and the track free.

• 2 weeks later...