Names for different box types

Nicholas-365248

Hello, Are there names or reference numbers or type designators for the different types of boxes for rolling stock over the last 20-40 years? Thinking in particular for individual coaches. For example, in the 1980s the inner packaging was polystyrene and there was an image of a belt and buckle on the outside front of the box. Moving forward, the boxes became a high glossy bright red with a yellow stripe, with a beige plastic inner packaging. The current box looks similar but is much larger and inside, the coach is cocooned within a clear plastic case. Is there either an official name, or a 'hobby'/'enthusiast' name for these types?

Hello Nicholas

Perhaps it is just me, but I am having a bit of trouble understanding your question.

When you say "names, reference numbers or type designators" of boxes, are you referring to the packaging? As in, this Hornby box is a "clamshell" type. Or, that Hornby package is a "sleeve type". Not the content of the package, but rather the packing, itself.

Or are you referring to prototype railway designators, such as: this carriage is "Her Majesty's Saloon". That wagon is a "Siphon G" type.

I must say, I think it the former rather than the later, but remain completely unsure. The lads will be along in a bit to set me straight!

Bee

If you are after replacement boxes for stock you will probably have to check out eBay and the like, people do sell them. For older boxes the Tri-ang society has made replacements which I think are still available.

I have found a friendly printer to make some (Deliberately NOT identical) Playcraft replica boxes for my personal use, mainly for neverwazza “Playcrafted” early Jouef locos. I don’t know how copyright would play out for some more modern replica boxes especially as Hornby still exist. Maybe it’s the next step for the likes of Peter’s Spares and others producing new parts? People have produced transfers for Hornby locos which I would have thought had some copyright on them?

I did buy some hard loco boxes from a model shop in Preston which are very good. There are also some available on eBay of varying quality and value for money.