Carriages with lights fitted

Aussie Fred

Hornby did produce a range of Mk1 coaches with track powered lights fitted. These coaches were available in Autumn 2017.

R4607    BR SR Mk1 Composite Coach S15027

R4609    BR SR Mk1 Corridor Brake Coach S34239

R4609A  BR SR Mk1 Corridor Brake Coach S34240

R4714    BR Mk1 Corridor 2nd Class Coach M24912

R4715    BR Mk1 Corridor Composite Coach M15679

R4716    BR Mk1 Corridor Brake 2nd – M34672

Depends which coaches you are talking about, Pullmans were track powered but the smaller Maglight coaches had batteries, at least the retro-fit kits did . . . https://uk.hornby.com/products/maglight-lighting-unit-mk3-coaches-r7305

They are the 4 wheel Era 2 that are on special from the Hornby store e.g:

Hornby LSWR, 4 Wheel Coach, 3rd Class, Fitted Lights, 302 - Era 2

I tried to order them but they wouldn't send them to Australia because they are classified "hazardous", which could be because of the batteries. I thought it might have been another SMS issue. I asked about "slow mail' - by sea, but they wouldn't even consider it.

Still wondering about the SMS issue though.

I have the Hatton's versions of SECR and SR 4 and 6 wheel coaches. They are meant to have pickups and decoders fitted to each coach for lighting but I've fitted Hornby Maglights instead. They work very well and are cheaper than fitting a decoder to each and every coach.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, I have recieved my full rack of coaches, LSWR, 4 Wheel Coaches, fitted lights, era 2, supplied by a UK shop - they had no problems sending them by air and recieved in perfect condition. They cost about A$20 more each than Hornby were selling them for, but postage free. On the other side of the ledger, they were $30 each cheaper than buying them here in Australia, although at the Aussie price, I probably would not have bought them.

Makes me wonder again whether it was a freight problem or SMS.

If you do need a decoder I just use those cheap LaisDCC ones. I also have a set of Coronation coaches and Virgin coaches made by Hornby with lights that stay on all the time.

Still works out quite expensive at, I think around £15 of so each. Then there is the wheel drag to consider.