Hornby Black 5 - heavy haulage.

atom3624

I've a moderately heavy, well maintained (despite appearances) train of 13x Bachmann 100-tonne bogie TEA wagons.

All diesels handle without issue, obviously, and some larger 'steamies'.

Thought I'd hook up a Black 5 and .... see the video - quite impressive!!:

Al.

I have WatB.

Didn't realise those details, just thought would be freer access.

There aren't many, and nothing special / fundamental.

At the area of 'highest load / drag' there was some slight wheelslip initially, but even this disappeared - may have been a touch of oil.

I may revisit the 8F, see if I've taken weight off the drivers for the pony truck tracking reliability, or if there's more space to insert a little more weight - not the highest priority at the moment!

Al.

Hello Al

About youTube

The US government enforced regulatory compliance on this matter. People were marketing to children via their channels. Using their own kids as bait in the videos, making them exploited child actors. Other small children will not be aware of a clever schemes. It was fairly nasty business.

When youTube asks you "Is this for kids?", the question is part of that compliance. All kinds of things happen to your video when you say "yes, its for kids", mostly negative from our perspective.

I know one youTube channel who reads right off the Lionel box "ages 14 and up" to protect himself from the nutters in youTube compliance.

Just say No!

About the Black Five

I always appreciate locomotives on test.

When reading those early books, the common thread was the development and testing of theories. Would this or that work? Who had the better idea from a practical or economic sense?

Your tests mirror that. How much tractive effort? Does the locomotive have enough adhesion? So many factors and tests.

Have fun Al!

Bee

Typically well detailed and many thanks.

I've 4x Black 5's now, just by chance of course .... renumbered to those still available - had to change one plan as I had the incorrect boiler!

Most important are the 44781 and 44871 - 18 Guinea special locomotives, 'though pity 44781 isn't still around - can't have everything.

Very concerned for Britannia at the moment and hope the consequences aren't too severe!

Al.