1/48 buccaneer s2c/d

oldmodeller

Having built two of the 1/48 buccaneers that airfix produced in the 90's with no problems at all I was looking forward to this build when I received this kit as a present. Very happy with it apart from one or two minor gripes.

1. I would have liked the option of a folding nose cone but the intrusion of the nose weight pod precludes this. I might try a scratchbuild and distribute the weight elsewhere
  2. The inclusion of a spare windscreen without the moulded wiper is a great idea but where do you source a PE replacement wiper? All the sites I have found on the web only seem to offer the wipers as part of a larger package. (going to be the same problem with the new Seakings). Will be a job for my fretsaw, soldering iron and a bit of brass.
  3. The option of an open engine is also welcome but I would question Airfix's approach. I think most modellers would opt for this option so why have they moulded the hatch shut and left it to the customer to drill or saw out the required cut out. Surely the aperture could have been moulded in the open state and the hatch cover supplied to show the hatch in the open position could have been utilised by cutting off the hinge points if neccessary. It would only be the same system that is used on undercarriage bay doors on most model aircraft.

Apart from these looking forward to finishing the build

• 1 month later...