Engines behaving erratically. What are we doing wrong?

S-366915

Hi all,

So my son got couple of used engines (Blue Highlander and Flying Scotsman) and tracks from one of his aunts. They were boxed and in mint condition. We set up everything but the engines do not run smoothly. They start, slow down, then pick up, slow down, pick up round the tracks. The engines are also running at high speed even with a slight turn of the controller and it is impossible to run the trains slow. I tried both engines, and the issue remains.

We got two old style transformer/plugs and the issue persists with both of them.

What exactly are we doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Siva and welcome to the Forum

It sounds like the Loco's required a good service before they were used, as any lubrication that was there before has possibly dried up.

If you are able to do this yourself, the common theme about lubricating Loco's is that if you can see the lubrication, you have applied too much.

You must use special Model Train lubricant and certainly not 3in1 or WD40 type lubricants. The closest to Model Railway lubricant I believe is something like Sewing Machine oil if you cannot obtain the correct stuff.

The track also needs to be spotless and is it possible that your track, having been in storage is the old Steel track, rather than the Nickel Silver used now. A magnet can be used to check. Steel track still works of course but tends to be more unreliable that Nickel Silver. Use a track rubber to clean it, not wire wool etc.

Let us know how you get on.

As for erratic running, "DS' advice is spot on, only thing I would add is, clean the wheel as well, if the loco is not been used or heavily used in the past.

I use Isopropyl Alcohol to clean the track, but my track is Nickel Silver, maybe some more experienced members can advice different method to clean the Steel Track.

Also you stated "engines are also running at high speed even with a slight turn of the controller" could you explain what controller you have?

Well erratic running is dirty wheels or possibly oil or deposit over the pickups (by pickups I mean the pickup plate underneath). On one loco I found the pickup plate was held on by self tapping screws as is normal with older Hornby locos, but someone had stripped the threads so a decent connection was not being made. As to the high speed could be as I done once and someone has put a different motor in it. A lot of Hornby motors look the same but some run have different gearing so run faster. A new Princess Royal class motor looks exactly the same as the one fitted to A4s, Coronations and West Countrys but it runs at a much higher speed as I found out. At one point you couldn't get the proper motors so people fitted what they could.

Hi all, thanks for your replies.

I doubt it is the tracks as I used some brand new nickel silver tracks and the issue remains.

One thing I forgot to mention was that when I run both the engines on the track, with one controller, they work fine.

I have the R965 controller with P9000W power adapter.

The P9000W transformer was not intended to be used with the R965 controller as the former has a DC output whereas the latter works on an AC input.

The R964 transformer was originally paired with the R965 controller and the later C990 transformer is also suitable if you want to bring the R965 controller back in to use, but it is not as competent a unit as the HM2000.