R.3025 J94 Firebox glow electrics question...

Ande P

Hi everyone, hope you are well. Just doing a run through of my inventory and noticed that the J94 that I have doesn't seem to match its service sheet as it has a flickering firebox (which is brilliant actually)... but its not in any of the j94 sheets I can see. Is this a previous owner mod or just an undocumented edition? model number R3025 and running number 8009. no issue i'm just inquisitive :)

many thanks

actually closer inspection of the cab appears that previous owner fitted one; its really quite good! is there a standard approach to do this i.e. is there any complicated electronics or just fitting a bulb to the power collection? I'd probably do a few more as it looks great.

First off are you running DC or DCC.

1. DCC a flickering module can be sourced but will only light as track voltage is increased.
  2. A simple led and resistor can be fitted and run from the aux function of a suitable decoder which has adjustable lighting effects and brightness to provide the flicker effect.

Peters Spares were selling the actual part fitted to the Hornby locos. This is the better option as it is just two fires, alternatively making your own it is a bridge rectifier(could use two diodes), resistor and led, so it comes on in both directions. The issue I had with an 0-6-0 I tried to fit it to was there not enough room behind the cab, the chassis was hard up against it. That is the DC option, DCC is as 96RAF mentions.

I suppose the first question to ask and for you to answer is, is the fire box light a bulb or a LED. If an LED, does it flicker going in reverse as well as forward.

If an LED and operation is bi-directional then a 'bridge rectifier' is a crucial component needed in the circuit.

Then the question is, is the LED a self-contained flickering LED or is the flicker created by an IC based add-on circuit.

If the LED is of the self-flickering type then the simplest circuit would be the LED plus a current limiting resistor in series with the LED and both components across the output of a bridge rectifier if also bi-directional.